tell me about cannondale lefty forks

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

You top out the fork: extend the fork leg firmly. I'm sure you know what you're talking about, it was just confusing how you worded it. Just a perspective thing.
I like to leave the air in. Then instead of using measuring tape, I just look at how far down the top of the damper goes into the fork leg when fully extended.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

who would have thought it, the different Lefty forks including weights are listed in the
Cannodale 2011 catalogue

aag

by aag

the 2013 Lefties seem to have only 90, 100, and 130mm options. See: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... els-34378/
Is that really true? Bummer!

cerro

by cerro

aag: How many mm do you want? You can always get less travel with spacers.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

limba wrote:Eliflap might know http://eliflap.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or Dan Gerous http://thedangerousofficial.blogspot.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're both on the mountain bike review site and probably here too.

sorry , saw only today this post

02GF74 wrote:I have a Lefty Speed alloy PBR 100 mm fork and am looking to replace it with lighter - the holy grail would be carbon fibre XLR. :mrgreen:

Searching on that well known website, different models are listed, with travel ranging from 100 to 140 mm (BTW I'm talking 26 er)

Anyone have a list of weights for the various lefty forks starting with the one I have and going up in the range? I am not too bothered about a remote lockout.

TIA.

the lightest forks are the OPI DLR SL Carbon , 2009 build
http://eliflap.it/

Privateer

by Privateer

Can anyone recommend a good place in Europe to get my Lefty overhauled?

I did a 24 hour race on it without any damping, as the oil somehow leaked out when the bike was hung up the night before). I fear it may never be the same again.

cerro

by cerro

Sykkelsenteret AS, Bergen, Norway is a really good place if I'm allowed to say that as I'm working there ;) Otherwise when it is just leaking oil any good Cannondale dealer should be able to fix it. Or which country are you in?

Privateer

by Privateer

Thanks cerro. Yes, I think you're allowed, since you declared your potential conflict of interest! :beerchug:

I may well send them to you. Can you PM me your details? Shipping might expensive though.

I'm currently in Switzerland (Geneva), but am heading down to Florence next week for a couple of months. The local Cannondale dealer here didn't know what to do about leaking oil, and was going to send it to the distributer.

I'd rather deal directly with someone I know who has a good reputation for Lefty mechanics.

I know there's a guy in NY who is supposedly a bit of a guru (can't remember his name), and was hoping there would be someone similar here in Europe.

aag

by aag

I am in Zurich. My Cannondale guy (http://www.metropolitan-bike.ch/) is friendly, competent and fair - but when it comes to Lefties he also sends them in to Cannondale Europe HQ (Germany). Those Cannondale guys in Germany, however, are condescending, arrogant, and disrespectful. I am prepared to post some email exchanges with them, which may illustrate quite vividly my point.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

Figured I'd post some weight info in this thread. I have a 2012 Lefty Carbon XLR (with remote) that I recently replaced with a 2013 version (both with 100mm travel).

Weight of the 2012 is 1,334g. Weight of the 2013 is 1,375g (i.e., heavier than stated).

In fact, the 1,375 is a few grams heavier as I weighed it without the frame bumper. I wonder if Cannondale's 2013 stated weight was without the plastic fork guard.

EDIT: These are 29er versions.
Last edited by tetonrider on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

02GF74

by 02GF74

thx for all the replies.

I got myself sorted out with a Lefty fork; I wanted to save a few grammes, not a huge amount plus since I have got white wheels, wanted less white on the bike; have ended up with lefty speed xlr @ 1254g inc Rockshox hydraulic remote. (26er)

cerro

by cerro

Privateer: Will cost a lot to send it to us yes and if you are where you are I can recommend 88+ in Italy instead, at least one of the workers there is hanging here. http://www.klammer-bike.com/

maxle

by maxle

And here comes a tuned Lefty:
In those days i started with a 26" Lefty Carbon SL Opi `09 1145g without (!) steerer. I was pretty light, for sure.
Today with all of the orginal 88 needles, including a tuned MCFK steerer, some Ti-skrews, some custom Alu parts by myself, some custom made damping-tuning for myself, and a new lefty boot i FINALLY reached the sub 1150g level for a 29" fork with 100mm.
Sorry for crappy quality by my mobile fon:

And i already have some ideas to bring the fork in the 1130 zone.
Happy trails from Germany!
maxle
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.