Do you lube your tires in winter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Winters here And things are either very dry like cracked lips and hands or wet from rain in Oregon to snow melt across America and England.

I just replaced my tires with some gp 4 seasons an I noticed the Ultremo I took off had little small lateral cracks from dryness and age.

So to keep my new tires tip top I think I need to start lubing them. I haven't heard it talked about but I'm sure it's common.

So what lube do you use? I was thinking white lightning but I'd worry it would
Rub Off while riding. Maybe a clear lithium based grease or even butter.

A side benefit would be not only keeping your tires new but shiny and looking good.

I think they will ride better too especially in wet roads since the grease will repell water and have direct contact with the pavement underneath.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I see a couple of problems here.

1st: Some of the lubrication might get on the thread of the tyre making them very slippery.

2nd: Some of the lubrication might get on the braketracks which will reduce braking power significantly.

I think you are better off cleaning the bike extensively after every wet og salty ride instead.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

Lubing your tires... seriously?
I swear the posts here get crazier everyday.

Ride crap cheap tires in the winter (or even better ride a whole crap cheap bike) and take advantages of the harder work you put in in the spring and summer time.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Sex Wax that surfers use should be good, try it and let me know how you got on...

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Seems a bit OTT but if you must, perhaps something for preserving/conditioning the rubber seals on cars may be better for the job rather than lube which could be dangerous as per the above.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Northoceanbeach wrote:I noticed the Ultremo I took off had little small lateral cracks from dryness and age.

If your tires dry out and crack before they wear out, you're not putting in enough miles.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

budgetweenie

by budgetweenie

Try Armor All or a similar protectant, that's what such things are made for.

I would shy a way from allowing lithium based greases to get on any rubber part, as it may well degrade the rubber.

NealH

by NealH

Just take a cigarette lighter and burn the areas that are cracked. Should seal them right up. :D

luckysix

by luckysix

I haven't heard it talked about but I'm sure it's common.

lol nope

Like a previous poster mentioned, I'd try an automotive tire product.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Hook, line, sinker. OP wins!

dvincere

by dvincere

Northoceanbeach wrote:I think they will ride better too especially in wet roads since the grease will repell water and have direct contact with the pavement underneath.

No. Your road bike tires have no problem contacting the ground given the size of their contact patch and the weight of you and your bike as a system. You are not a car. There is nothing lube can do here except waste your money and put you on your ass faster.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

petromyzon wrote:Hook, line, sinker. OP wins!

Yup. I can't believe people were taking this post seriously. Hats off to OP.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy

by wingguy

I'd like to think that, right now, the OP is laughing so hard that a little bit of wee has come out.

quattrings

by quattrings

wingguy wrote:I'd like to think that, right now, the OP is laughing so hard that a little bit of wee has come out.

either that or he's found an explanation to tell the misses for the suspicious supply of petroleum jelly in his garage. :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

Just keep them inflated and indoorsand your fine