New Garmin Edge 810 and 510

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

markyboy

by markyboy

CBJ wrote:Nice find sounds like some fun features in the new versions. 510 looks sleek.

+1 on that i really like the look of that 510 and also its a nice size.
When do you think they will be on the market?
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tillquist

by Tillquist

from a German website

Zwei neue Edge Modelle

Neben Garmins Top-Modell für Fahrradfahrer, dem Edge 800 soll auch die Mittelklasse erneuert werden. So wird es neben dem Edge 810 auch das Edge 510 geben. Das Edge 510 wird etwas größer als das Edge 500 werden und zudem über Tasten unterhalb des Displays verfügen. Außerdem wird der Webseite nach das Edge 500 wohl weiterhin neben dem Edge 510 bestehen bleiben und die Mittelklasse nach untenhin abrunden.

Im leicht veränderten Design präsentiert sich auch das Edge 810, zu dem auch Dokumente bei der Funkzulassungsbehörde der USA (FCC) erschienen sind. Daraus geht hervor, dass im neuen Edge 810 neben ANT+ auch Bluetooth 4.0 zum Einsatz kommen wird. Die unveränderte Form des Fahrradcomputers stellt sicher, dass auch Zubehör des Vorgängers weiterhin genutzt werden kann.
Online-Verbindung übers Smartphone

Die neuen Edge Modelle sollen beide über Online-Funktionen wie ein Echtzeittracking, abrufbare Wetter-Infos und Anbindungen an soziale Netzwerke verfügen. Eine Online-Verbindung kann mit dem Edge 510 und Edge 810 allerdings nur hergestellt werden, wenn ein Smartphone mitgeführt wird.

Genaue Preise und ein Verfügbarkeitstermin lassen sich der Webseite nicht entnehmen. In vielen Foren wird jedoch mit einer offiziellen Vorstellung der neuen Edge-Geräte zu CES in Las Vegas gerechnet. Die Elektronikmesse findet in diesem Jahr vom 8. – 11. Januar statt.
See all my bike h e r e

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Google translate:

Two new Edge models

In addition to Garmin's top model for cyclists, the Edge 800 is the middle class to be renewed. There will be next to the Edge 810 and the Edge 510th The Edge 510 will be slightly larger than the Edge 500 and also have buttons below the display. In addition, the website will remain on the Edge 500 probably continue to exist alongside the Edge 510 and round off the middle class after untenhin.

In the slightly modified design also presents itself the Edge 810, which also includes documents on the radio regulatory agency of the United States (FCC) have appeared. It shows that the new Edge 810 next ANT + and Bluetooth 4.0 will be used. The unmodified form of the cycle computer makes sure that even the predecessor accessories continue to be used.
Online connection via smartphone

The new Edge models will both have online features such as a real-time tracking, recallable weather info and links to social networks. An online connection can be with the Edge 510 and Edge 810, however, produced only if a smartphone is carried.

Exact prices and availability date can not be found in the website. In many forums, but is expected to be the official presentation of the new edge devices to CES in Las Vegas. The electronics show takes place this year from 8 - 11 January.

James_London

by James_London

Unfortunate if the 810 form factor and weight are unchanged from the 800 if the Google Translation is accurate. There will have to be some major changes to the screen and/or other functionality to make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Real-time position and unit to unit data sharing on the road could be interesting in some scenarios but via Bluetooth 4.0 and phone is clunky. An embedded SIM with good power management would be preferable. I wonder how many crashes will be caused by in-ride Facebook updates?

Looking forward to more info anyway...

djconnel

by djconnel

LVGH wrote:These 510 and 810 do not seem to provide any substantial improvements over the old models. But Garmin dominates the market anyway so I guess they don't have to.

Touch screen should be nice. It's easier than remembering button sequences while riding. But touch screens require good screen visibility, so we'll see how that is.

Also the form factor is different, as others have noted. Hopefully the weight difference is negligible, and the battery life no shorter.

asv

by asv

I really like touch on my 800. Its very easy to swipe between screens. Gloves are not an issue either.

On the surface it looks like the 810 has no form factor changes which is disappointing. The 510 looks very nice. I might replace my 500 with a 510 and keep my 800 for when I need NAV which is not that often really.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

The difference in gps performance between the 500 and 800 could be due to the antenna design and placement on the housing. The carbon Fibre trim (even though fake and for cosmetic) still contains glass fibres which attenuated radio frequencies. So even though they share the same chipset. They won't share the same,except antenna. Typically the antenna for gps and for other radio frequencies are molded into the hosting of electrocuted devices.

As for the farming edge 810. I think I'm going to pass. I'm sick of being a beta tester for garmin. I bought the 800 the first month it came out. The software still sucks, there are too many layers of menus. Configuring courses and training partner rides are super difficult.

I'm more interested in what whaoo has to offer these days. They have a bluetooth 4.0 display that is not expensive. You add in bluetooth heart rate and cadence. They all talk to your phone. You can leave your phone in the back pocket and acts like a processing hub with the display off. The wahoo display is on all the time with good battery life.

markyboy

by markyboy

Some people are saying its going to have a camera built in.
We shall wait and see.
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

LVGH

by LVGH

No mention of a camera on the Garmin website.

Comparison of 800 and 810

Price difference $50. It's really only the BT connectivity and a smartphone app (is it free of charge?).

This Is Your Edge

The touchscreen Edge 810 is designed for the cyclist who wants it all — navigation and advanced training capabilities in 1 device. It offers connected features¹ through your smartphone, including live tracking, social media sharing and weather. The 810 is compatible with optional detailed street or TOPO maps, so it can guide your ride for touring, commuting or extended activities where you might need onboard maps and navigation. Because it’s GPS-enabled, Edge 810 provides accurate data and navigation capabilities, anywhere in the world.

Track Every Detail

In addition to the mapping capabilities, Edge 810 records your distance, speed metrics, ascent/descent, grade and more. It’s also compatible with ANT+™ sensors that measure your heart rate², speed/cadence² and power³. The activity profiles feature allows you to customize data fields and device settings based on cycling activity, such as road, mountain or touring. Switch profiles with a simple swipe of the touchscreen and your device will be set up to show the data you need for that ride.

Get Connected

Edge 810 offers a suite of connected features when paired with your smartphone (Apple® or Android™) and the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app. This allows you to gain comprehensive, accurate ride data from a dedicated device, while saving your phone battery. Edge tracks the data and sends it to your phone using a Bluetooth® connection. Stay connected and share all the details of your ride with friends, family and your social media contacts. You can post an update immediately after your ride or race with details from your completed activity. You’ll create your posts via your smartphone, and the ride data’s already there, thanks to the interface with Garmin Connect Mobile.

Live Tracking

The live tracking feature allows your friends and family to follow your races and training activities in real time. Invite followers using email or social media, so they can view your live data on a Garmin Connect tracking page. Once they get your email invite, they can click to follow and see your stats and location on the map.

Weather

Get real-time weather conditions, forecasts and alerts (in areas with coverage) directly on the Edge 810 when it’s paired with your smartphone and the Garmin Connect Mobile app. This feature is useful for extended rides, and it lets you keep your smartphone safe and dry, while the weather data you need is at your fingertips.
Wireless Data Transfers

Now you can instantly store, share and analyze every detail of your ride. The Garmin Connect Mobile app allows for wireless uploads of completed activities from your device as soon as you finish recording an activity. You choose whether activities are automatically or manually uploaded. Once your ride has posted to Garmin Connect, your own “connections” can view them. You can also search your courses and workouts4 stored at Garmin Connect, download to your smartphone, then send directly to your Edge 810 — wirelessly. You can then navigate to the start of the course and use the Virtual Partner® feature on your Edge to race your previous activities in real time.

Purpose-Built Bike Computer

There’s no better bike computer to guide your ride. Edge 810 is rugged, waterproof and has up to a 17 hour battery life. The touchscreen is easy to operate, even with a gloved finger and when wet. Mounting options include a new out-front mount² for heads-up positioning and a standard quarter-turn mount.

¹When paired with your compatible Android or Apple device.

²Included with some models, sold separately on others.

³When paired with ANT+ power meter.

4Future release of Garmin Connect Mobile will allow you to explore and download courses and workouts from other Garmin Connect users.

LVGH

by LVGH

I'm surprised to find out that the Edge 510 apparently is compatible with GLONASS satellites whereas the 810 is not.

keith

by keith

Sounds good, but .... I would like to be able to post ride data to Strava, not any Garmin website. Hope this will be possible, either from the Garmin app itself or at least export the ride-data via email? Or, even better, if the Starva app can be updated to talk directly to the 810.

Weather being received directly on the 810 screen from the phone connection is interesting. Wondering if this could be developed to display text messages, etc?

Can't quite see the point of live update from the 810 to the phone via bluetooth as many apps do this already from smartphones and are independent of the Garmin website. Glympse being the easiest I've found to setup adhoc tracking, but there are many examples and flavours out there.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DIRT BOY

by DIRT BOY

With the new 510 having BT, I was hoping for a BT connection for HR and S/C. ANT+ is a dying protocol.
I would love to use all my BT accessories now with a Garmin device.

Also sounds like it not the new low-power Bluetooth.
DIRT BOY

markyboy

by markyboy

I have had the 800 and the 500 and now have the 200 sold the others.
I like the size of the 200 but not enough features on it, so when the 510 comes out thats the
one i am going to get.
Its sleak and i like the size of it and of course it has lots of data. :thumbup:
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Tillquist

by Tillquist

And new Silicone case....

See all my bike h e r e

mgordon

by mgordon

keith wrote:Sounds good, but .... I would like to be able to post ride data to Strava... Or, even better, if the Starva app can be updated to talk directly to the 810.

Patience my friend... But here's a hint.

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/microb.htm ... Qgod2hgAHg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com