Colnago C59 ADAR

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Last bike related purchase of the year: 4x M5 black Ti Bolts & washers.

Now then, next item on the agenda: Saddle & Bar Tape colour. Black or white? Here, a photo from the net with black saddle & tape:
What do you all think?

Thanks again,

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

michel2

by michel2

Ur photo's look more promissing that the photo you just posted above. Altough i believe white bar tape is for champions only but it would looks awesome on your bike, white saddle andvtape please !(;
Gongrates

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabmaster

by tabmaster

In a rare moment of inactivity at work today I was looking at the deda website & I happened upon this nice little item:

Now, does anyone have any experience with this stem? I was going to go with the zero 100 stem but now I'm not so sure. I had always been of the opinion that bars & stem ought to be made from alloy rather than carbon for the sake of stiffness & safety. I understand that a carbon stem will take some road vibration away, am I right? As for matching the frame, I know it might clash a bit but it will match the red flashes on the Campag parts.

Thanks again,

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

michel2

by michel2

I just mounted a stealth black ( high polish) zipp stem and bars, there nice understated dont atract any attention, just so it points all attention to your beautyful frame

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Quick comment on the Garmin mounts:

The Bar Fly is about 10g lighter than the K-Edge, but black plastic. K-Edge is a sweet, CNC machined beauty, and comes in a few colours. I own the Bar Fly, purely because of the weight. Have not seen the Garmin offering in the wild yet.

On a bike like yours I'd go with the K-Edge.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

It's the middle of the night and my brain is in design mode! I've been ogling Morten Tilquist's custom garmin mount and I'd go for one of those if he'd do them for deda, but he doesn't. So, I've been thinking of doing something similar in... Carbon! By coincidence, a garmin mount fits exactly on top of a 1 1/8" headset spacer. I have an A level in design & technology & I'm still pretty good with my hands so it'll be interesting to see what I can come up with!

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

tabmaster

by tabmaster

The next item on the agenda:
Graciously lent to me by Primera Sports of Bournemouth. I shall buy it if its as comfy as my team edition SLR flow.

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

bontie

by bontie

Re stems - Nothing wrong with Deda Zero100/Newton, but also consider the Superleggera and Superlegerro stem and bar if you were thinking of changing your current setup. The stem mentioned decals will clash with the frame imo.

http://www.dedaelementi.com/index.php?p ... 85&lang=it

http://www.dedaelementi.com/index.php?p ... 85&lang=it

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Matte Deda with custom made black polished decals.

Edit: that superlegerra might go well with the frame :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

I vote for black bartape and saddle.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

kgt wrote:I vote for black bartape and saddle.

Indeed I was tempted by black bar tape & saddle (much easier to keep clean). There is more white on the frame than on the photo of the complete bike above & I've got a steal on the slr kit carbonio saddle that's too good to turn down. I think I'm going to go with white.

bontie wrote:Re stems - Nothing wrong with Deda Zero100/Newton, but also consider the Superleggera and Superlegerro stem and bar if you were thinking of changing your current setup. The stem mentioned decals will clash with the frame imo.

I'm in such a quandary about the stem...
I see what you're saying about the red decals on the stem clashing a bit. There will be similar red & white detailing on the Super Record items though so it would match those quite well. My main concern is how stiff will that carbon stem be? Is it likely to be as stiff as the zero 100 stem? Will it absorb much in the way of road buzz?
Additionally, are carbon stems more prone to catastrophic failure than alloy? I've only ever seen one stem snap in a race & that was an alloy one.

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Next part ordered:

12g by all accounts. I'll weigh it when it arrives.

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

bontie

by bontie

Well if its stiffness you want and don’t want a Carbon stem, then get the M35 stem and bars. Alloy stem only. And match it to the Superlegerra 35 bars. Black and black decals, it would fit that frame like it was made for it...

I have Zero100 on two bikes and M35 (carbon bars) on the other. The M35 combo feels stiffer to me YMMV

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Ti bottle cage bolts, 8g!

Also, after a bit of quizzing other WW forum members, it would appear that the Deda Vincente stem bottom ring won't fit the frame so I've had to think again... In this instance I think I'm going to plump for the Deda Superleggera stem:

I reckon the Italian tricolore decal on the stem would match the same on the frame rather well:

Thoughts?

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Oh, and two more photos (from the web this time) to whet your appetites!

It's going to be a long old wait for this frame, but it'll be worth it.

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com