3D rotor crank - any diff?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

project3

by project3

i Have upgraded my chainring to 3d rotor crank. LBS also advise me to consider changing the crank to rotor crank and said its stiffer.

anyone here had that experience before?

http://www.cart32hostingred.com/cgi-bin ... =153950870

fa63

by fa63

What do you use now?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Not only need to know what do you use now.....but to help with replies....what is currently wrong with what you have (your view or what the shop is saying), what do you weigh, what kind of riding do you do, watts output, etc, etc. .....taking the question at face value I'd go out on a ledge and question if the shop was simply trying to sell you something for their benefit which in reality may not contribute anything toward you actually having a faster ride in the countryside?

Just try'n to help with added focus on current versus potential future. :D

project3

by project3

now with ultegra 6700

fa63 wrote:What do you use now?

project3

by project3

LBS said stiffer. So anyone here has the experience? So is stiff helps me with climbing? I got nothing with the current crank just need to find out more from here rather than listening without asking opinion to those who has changed or did some similar research.

my weight is 58kg and i do mostly climbing. Thanks Tommasini.

tommasini wrote:Not only need to know what do you use now.....but to help with replies....what is currently wrong with what you have (your view or what the shop is saying), what do you weigh, what kind of riding do you do, watts output, etc, etc. .....taking the question at face value I'd go out on a ledge and question if the shop was simply trying to sell you something for their benefit which in reality may not contribute anything toward you actually having a faster ride in the countryside?

Just try'n to help with added focus on current versus potential future. :D

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

If you're paying with a big bag of coins, then buying new cranks will help with climbing in the overall weight saved. Besides that, no. Even if the rotor 3d crank was stiffer, which I would have to see test numbers to be convinced, it would make an immeasurably small difference, and even that is debatable. One thing that is not debatable is the shift quality between the two. Shimano wins out.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The 3D crank is lighter but is NOT stiffer and will not have as good shifting as the 6700.

kiskubai

by kiskubai

Guys, keep in mind that he already changed the chainrings, so shifting quality doesnt matter.

If i were you, i would keep the ultegra. But if money is not a problem then i would buy the rotor because i dont think that the 6700 would look pretty with the rotor rings.

tommasini

by tommasini

the 6700's are fine for stiffness. Not as light as a the rotors but down there you won't notice that you dropped a few grams except when you actually set the bike on a scale.

This Fairwheel test is not your 6700 crank but you can take some of the comments and results of that and compare to the rotor.....other than a few more grams that an Ultegra will carry over DuraAce, Shimano shares design features/methodology well amongst neighboring models and generations of equipment....meaning I'd suspect that the 6700 stiffness will be excellent and same rave over shifting with Shimano rings. http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... 3e9#p99937

Unless you're now thinking of losing grams from the crank (original post was about getting a stiffer crank) I'd save the dough for something else that will provide a real benefit.....something such as (assuming you don't have one of such already) light and aero wheels, lower rolling resistant tires, heart rate monitor, power meter, etc

NiFTY

by NiFTY

58kg - you don't need much stiffness anyways. I agree with all other posters, I wouldn't upgrade in search of increased stiffness. Rotor chainrings will however, look god awful with a shimano crank. If you are bothered by this then a rotor or even better, new sram crank, would be considered an upgrade, from an aesthetic point of view.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com