Delta's or Keo's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Praha19300

by Praha19300

Want to jump off the Speedplays (getting tired of waiting for the Brim Bros powermeter) and back on some bigger platform pedals , can somebody remind me of the pro's & cons of Delta and Keo cleats?

SDP

by SDP

can you still get delta's?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Praha19300

by Praha19300

Not LOOK, but Wellgo or VP , used LOOK through the late 80's but stopped when in the mid nineties they had some serious reliability problems .

Lig

by Lig

Hi, I dont think there would be any advantage of Deltas. Go with Keos or better still Blades for a larger platform. You can still get Delta cleats though.

Lig.

mec287

by mec287

Hi, I've used Keo's on both of my bikes now for about 4 years with no reliability problems at all - only issue is the cleats can wear a bit quick if you walk in them. Easily solved with cleat covers.
S-works 2012 in Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

If you want a big platform there's only one option and that's Keywin.

There was an extensive discussion about them last summer:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90491&hilit=keywin+crm

Geoff

by Geoff

You cannot get Delta pedals anymore, but the cleats are available.

I was an 'early-adopter' of the Look system and have been on them since the 80's. The Keo is definitely a better design all around. The cleat is smaller (and lighter) and, accordingly, allows the use of a smaller, lighter pedal.

The latest iteration of the Look pedal: the Keo Blades, are really nice pedals with a surprisingly large platform, given the small overall size of the pedal. As compared to the older delta cleat-compatable pedals, they are dramatically lighter, too. I would recommend them highly. If you get them, I would recommend the 16Nm-version.

Pantani

by Pantani

The Keos are excellent pedals. Still the usual Look issues in that the bearings are not the best. Shimano Dura Aces are much better in that regard and worth looking at as an alternative. That said, I'm riding Keos on all but one of my bikes.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

xrs2

by xrs2

I like the Keos except for the fact that they are very prone to squeaking. Consider the new Dura Ace pedals. I haven't tried them because I have too much of an investment in Keos, but I've heard they are great.

You can fix the squeaking with an occasional application of furniture polish, by the way.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have been on Keo since they came out, but have never had any squeaking. I run black (no-float) cleats and maximum tension/16 Nm, so maybe that helps.

xrs2

by xrs2

Geoff wrote:I have been on Keo since they came out, but have never had any squeaking. I run black (no-float) cleats and maximum tension/16 Nm, so maybe that helps.

I have the red cleats...I'd guess the no float cleats would be less prone to squeaking since they can't rotate back and forth. My squeaking problem might also be partly due to grime from riding a lot of dirt/gravel. I like them otherwise though.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I use alot of delta pedals as they can be picked up second hand for penuts. The best delta pedals for reliabiltiy are Shimano 1056, 6402 and 7402 pedals if you can find them. I have 2 pairs of 1056 and another 2 pairs of 6402's. I also have a set of 7402's one thier way. The bearings in these do last. Oddly enough I can still buy of a distributor NOS 1056 and 6402 pedals but they are more expensive than new 5700 and 6700 pedals so you would have to seriously want them. Unfortunatley the 1056 and 6402 pedals are 454g for a pair. The 7402's are a bit lighter at 415g I believe. Still heavy pedals though.

I also am using some Look arcs. I see how they will last. I also have another two pairs of Look delta pedals. There is still NOS stock of these as well in the right places.

Keo's are lighter though and a good pedal. Superior really in every way. It just that I have so many pairs of delta type pedals I have pedals for many years to come and I will have to wear them all out before I change them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaxDaddy

by MaxDaddy

I ultimately switched from Keo's to Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra. I have some foot issues and they give a nice big platform. And they're typically indestructible.