Hacking Di2 firmware to do single-lever shifting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

freeloader

by freeloader

Hi,

have anyone thought of hacking the firmware so that it is programmed to shift with 1 lever instead of 2?

By doing so, only a brake lever is needed for the other hand. Also, the rider can pre-program the system to decide on which derailleurs(s) to shift for each push of the button.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

This was done a couple of years ago and Fairwheel Bikes had a bike at their Interbike booth with it. I have been riding with it on my bike for about a year now and it's simply amazing.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

freeloader

by freeloader

Great, i guessed that for 7970! What other advantages do you get besides what i mentioned?

Hopefully, someone can do that for the newer system as well :)

TCx

by TCx

How do you purchase / do / get this on your bike if you are in the uk?

TCx

by TCx

I was hoping someone would be able to help.
I'm interested in the new 11speed version, better than the older version, but I want to hack it to run 10 speed, That way wheel swaps etc aren't an issue.
All help appreciated.
Can you ever have to many bikes?

pritchet74

by pritchet74

TCx wrote:How do you purchase / do / get this on your bike if you are in the uk?

You don't. The guy who created it only made a few prototypes and then abandoned the project because Shimano was changing how everything was going to be done with the new Di2. I don't know if he has plans to do a version for the new system.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

TCx

by TCx

Thank you, do we know who this person is, or if there is anyone out there with the required know how? It looks like they have even provided a type of interface for changing multiple shifts / shift speed on the newer version, I was hoping this would make it easier for people that are technically minded to hack the system / use their own code?
I'm happy to pay for this, with 4 bikes already running 10 speed DA Di2 it will be cheaper than replacing them all so that I can still utilise different wheels on different bikes .....
Anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squint

by Squint

Of course it can be done. The question is how much are you willing to pay for it.