RIP Burry Stander

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

He was a friend. Trained on occasion together. A true hero, humble and had time for everyone.

His bike looks pretty beat up. :(
http://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/co ... n-the-road

He will be missed by all.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

R.I.P.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Dilbert

by Dilbert

So sad

tinchy

by tinchy

Crashed into the passenger side of the vehicle, maybe this suggests the vehicle pulled out in front of burry at a junction and he went straight into the side. Who knows.

Such a sad loss, still cant believe it

djconnel

by djconnel

What we need is a black-box requirement for cars. After incidents like this upload data of position, speed, orientation, brake, signals, throttle. Unfortunately in the US people claim this sort of thing violates privacy. But what of Burry's privacy?

The dead don't serve witness.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Sounds like Burry and the taxi were traveling in opposite directions and the cabby took a right turn pulling in front of Burry, who was possibly on a downhill or at least traveling at a high rate of speed by the looks of the bike.......terrible news. I wish folks would be much more careful around cyclists. It is like they do not recognize or respect that the cyclist is another human.

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Ride on, Burry!

Lateralus

by Lateralus

We will miss you Burry, RIP. Condolences to all his relatives and friends.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

btompkins0112 wrote:Sounds like Burry and the taxi were traveling in opposite directions and the cabby took a right turn pulling in front of Burry,

Yeah, see this with drivers that misjudge the speed of the oncoming cyclist. No good. :(
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Kasparz

by Kasparz

jmilliron wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Sounds like Burry and the taxi were traveling in opposite directions and the cabby took a right turn pulling in front of Burry,

Yeah, see this with drivers that misjudge the speed of the oncoming cyclist. No good. :(

Unfortunately it happens very often, especially in places where fast cyclists are rare. I have had few very close misses at fast speeds :(

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

djconnel wrote:What we need is a black-box requirement for cars. After incidents like this upload data of position, speed, orientation, brake, signals, throttle.

+1

Actually, it can pass if presented - you can convince voters that it will be a good thing in that it will only be accessed following a accident/incident, and it will help prove to insurance auditors who was at fault. I would also add GPS data in there as well - you can prove incidents of cars running stops (and causing accidents) and so on. As long as you orient the discussion to what interests the voters the most (solving car accident issues as opposed to incidents with cyclists or pedestrians, sad as that may be) you have a chance of getting it passed into law.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Kasparz wrote:
jmilliron wrote:

Unfortunately it happens very often, especially in places where fast cyclists are rare. I have had few very close misses at fast speeds :(

Although we do not know the actual circumstances of the accident since non of us were there this is why I stress that cyclists need to take every step necessary to avoid motorists even if it means breaking traffic laws.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

campbellrae

by campbellrae

RIP Burry, a tragic loss. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

Kind of agree with Stella, although it can aggravate some drivers... Whenever I bring new riders into the sport I always try to remind them that in the event of a collision, no matter who was at fault, they will end up worse off. Have had a few real 'this is it' moments over the years that just reinforce this view.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

Sucks big time. I saw him absolutely own the u23 race at the 2009 World Championships in Australia.

“You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life.” - Marco Simoncelli