Another which frame for me thread..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which frame would you pick?

Planet-X N2A
18%
Neo Hyper
36%
Specialized Allez
18%
Other (specify in comments)
27%

Total votes: 11

Colin

by Colin

I know, I know, another 'which bike for me thread'.. I hate them just as much as everyone else, but I'm currently in the process of building my first actual road bike (owned plenty of mountain bikes and a cross bike) and cannot decide on the frame. I've narrowed it down to the Neo Hyper (non SL), Planet-X N2A, and Specialized Allez, but have been going back and forth on the three of them. I'm not super picky when it comes to geometries, and they will all fit me fine. No matter what frame I get, it will probably get built with a Campag Record/Chorus mix. It's going to be my do it all bike, race, train, group ride, etc. but my main focus with it is racing.

I know that in theory the Specialized will have a better warranty, but I'll be away at school most of the time so shipping a frame to Neo or Planet-X honestly wouldn't be much worse than having to drive all the way home to have it warrantied and drive back to pick it up once it's back.

What do you all think? Any other suggestions?

Colin.

russianbear

by russianbear

The cheapest one, so if you stuff it racing, it hurts less to replace. Assuming they are more or less even as you said.

Spend the rest of the money on race entry fees, a power meter and carbon tubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vallron

by Vallron

Giant TCR Advanced SL Frameset with integrated seatpost.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/backoffic ... 3FINAL.pdf

Size medium frame including ISP weighs 968 grams.

Fork weighs 332 grams (uncut ?)

Total 1300 grams.

Expensive yes. But a great quality frame that is extremely light.

djconnel

by djconnel

I discount the "other" option, because you provide so little information. If I was forced to decide, it seems Planet-X is a reliable company to deal with and the bike looks good, so I picked that. Review of that bike.

See this thread, as well.

Colin

by Colin

That's fair. I rushed through posting this, and did forget some information. The reason I'm looking at those 3 frames specifically is because, while I have saved enough to build a new bike, I am still on a college student budget. I've set my budget so that I don't completely blow all the money I have saved, so that I do still have money left over for race entries, gas, tubes/tires, etc :thumbup: . They're all relatively close in price, with the Planet-X being the upper end of how much I want to spend on a frame. That said, that puts the Giant way over budget! I wish I could afford one, those are easily one of my favorite frames!

As far as info about me, to help with the "Other" option, I'm 5'9" 145lbs. I've been racing mountain bikes and cyclocross for a while, and crits the last couple of years on my cross bike. I like a more race-y position, even though it'll see a lot more training and group rides. With this build, light weight comes second next to reliability. I do a lot of rides out on country roads, where I'm fairly far away from people, so I want to keep it relaible, but I do enjoy a light bike obviously! :D I'm not a super explosive rider and not too heavy, so I don't need the absolute stiffest bike possible.

Anyways, hope that helps! and thank you to everyone who has responded!