Talk to me about lightweight, secure quick releases

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tetonrider

by tetonrider

i'm looking for a new rear skewer for a lightweight build, and i'm curious for the latest thinking on light--but secure--quick releases.

i'd like something that is light, but i do not want to go so light that i am sacrificing durability or stiffness.

any recommendations?

(this will be used on a tune prince/enve tubular setup in a 29er hardtail.)

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I don't compromise on QR's, so for WW builds they are very heavy (126g/pair) but I'm on Shimano XT, I'd have XTR but they are ruddy expensive.
Shimano give better clamping than external cam (higher leverage ratio) and the mechanism is internal and so keep clean.
Bike is a genuine daily rider.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

For MTB: Extralite Alien... end of discussion

devinci

by devinci

I've ridden with a KCNC rear quick release, the bike got a beating, no issue, ever.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the Tune DC17 rear skewer?

19g, and I hear it is quite strong. The DC14 got a pretty good review in that link TimmS posted, above.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

TheRookie wrote:I don't compromise on QR's, so for WW builds they are very heavy (126g/pair) but I'm on Shimano XT, I'd have XTR but they are ruddy expensive.
Shimano give better clamping than external cam (higher leverage ratio) and the mechanism is internal and so keep clean.
Bike is a genuine daily rider.

hm. XT set is 126g/pair?

a set of XTR 985s weigh 125g. i can get and XTR rear for $22...but it is 65g. i agree that shimano has a fantastic clamping mechanism.

i have a DT ratchetlock that came with a wheelset, but i'm not a huge fan, and it is 50g (for the steel version -- 44g for the titanium version).

i generally prefer internal cam skewers (like shimano), esp for applications such as a time trial bike with horizontal dropouts. however, for the MTB i'm not so sure which way to go. seems like an opportunity to drop a 30g, but i don't want something that cannot survive real-world usage.

cerro

by cerro

tetonrider wrote:Thanks!

Any thoughts on the Tune DC17 rear skewer?

19g, and I hear it is quite strong. The DC14 got a pretty good review in that link TimmS posted, above.

Seems good to me, got one for my bike.

But after been using Tune U20 on my roadbike and CX I'm dreaming of getting on for my mtb too. Feels good, but is lighter then anything else :) Love them.

02GF74

by 02GF74

I am using the 30g per pair Ti skewers - search ebay for J&L (ok, so are not Q/R but with 4 mm hex socket) and had no issues so far..... my riding is XC so no jumps and I weigh more than most on here.

It is hard to know how hard to tighten these - too lose and they may come undone, too tight and the thinned down Ti spindle may snap - but with Ti I do them up until I can feel the Ti spindle beginning to twist i.e. it is no longer screwing into the cap and that is the point when I stop - has worked ok so far.

I have had skewers with Q/R lever from same seller and same = no problems.

Ole

by Ole

Extralite Aliens 3. Large, comfortable lever, self aligning end pieces to prevent bending of the ti rod due to frame/fork flex, and every rod gets checked for defects with ultra sound.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

tetonrider wrote:hm. XT set is 126g/pair?

a set of XTR 985s weigh 125g. i can get and XTR rear for $22...but it is 65g.

My XT's are 126g the pair (58F 68R), cheapest I've found XTR in the UK is double that, if it's only 3g lighter I'd not bother.

My XT are circa 10g an end lighter than the Deore I had.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Get a hub that supports 10mm bolt on?

DanW

by DanW

KCNC without hesitation

I also used to believe that light and secure QR's didn't exist and didn't think it was an area worth saving some g's but tried the KCNC's and have no reason to look for anything else in 2 years

Rey

by Rey

see www.pop-products.ch

just the same stuff as lightweight's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com