Planet X Stealth

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Scott!

by Scott!

I'm trying to build a budget TT bike. So far I've ordered the Planet X Stealth frame, fork, and bars and some SRAM TT500 levers. I'm still deciding which components will be fitted. I'm trying to use whatever spares I have laying around and trading/bartering for whatever else I need. Not a short term project, but I'd like to have it on the road before March so I can get some time on it before the road race season starts here as I plan on doing some omniums and also the State Time Trial Championship.

The frame is a medium and the weight is 1469 grams without fork or seatpost.
Frame on scale:

Fork weighs in at 392g:

Seatpost:

Bars are 661g:

Last edited by Scott! on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Nice. Just for reference against the weight - what size frame?

Scott!

by Scott!

The frame is a medium. I edited the post to reflect that. Thanks for the heads up.

BmanX

by BmanX

Here was mine before I sold it due to back issues. 15.5 lbs when completed.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Dalai

by Dalai

Scott! wrote:Thanks for the heads up.

No worries. Looking forward to seeing this built up! :thumbup:

Scott!

by Scott!

Busy week with parts trickling in. Found a Rival crank and f/r derailleur from member Thrillho in the WW marketplace. I had already budgeted for a set of Boyd Wheels and found out they were having a sale so went ahead and ordered those. I must say that in both cases shipping was phenomenal. With the Rival buy, purchase was completed on Friday and box was sent on Monday from Portland, OR. I received it via USPS on Tuesday. I ordered the Boyd wheels on Monday, they were shipped out Tuesday and arrived yesterday (Wednesday). Anyway, during the week I installed the headset and bottom bracket, yesterday fitted the crankset and the derailleurs. It shouldn't be long before I can get the bike rolling and start experimenting with some stems and spacers before cutting the steerer.

The only thing missing are brake levers. I'm holding off on brakes while I decide which calipers I'm going to use. I have Force, Rival, and Zero Gravity to choose between my three bikes. Most likely I'll put the Zero G's on my road bike which has a mix of Red/Force and put the Force calipers on the TT bike.

I am weighing each and everything that goes on, I'll list it out on the final build sheet.

pxusa
in the industry

by pxusa

Digging the build progress so far. :thumbup:
---------------------------------------------
-Patrick
http://www.planet-x-usa.com
Carbon Wheels, Road + TT Frames, and more!
57 NE Hancock | Portland, OR|503-894-8956

Scott!

by Scott!

Have all the parts to complete the bike, but ran into a delay today. While at the LBS to pick up some spacers, I noticed an old pair of Easton Attack one piece TT bars in the clearance bin. I'm a sucker for anything on clearance and I talked myself into them.

Little did I know that both the brake levers and the shifter mounts were glued on. I figured I'd use the brake levers and modify the bars to accept my SRAM TT shifters. I used the cutoff wheel on my dremel and managed to remove the shifter mounts. The return spring on one of the brake levers kept falling out, and when I saw the amount of finessing required for the internal cable routing, I decided to fit the Profile levers I had already purchased. Of course there was another aluminum mount that was glued on.

Another half an hour with the dremel and I wound up with this:

Plan is to finish up in the morning, still need to cut the fork and install the chain and cables.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com