cannondale sisl2 + new compression plug details

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

timzcat

by timzcat

I had to order a headset for my Evo Ult. and it came with the new expander.
Therefore if you order KP203 from Cannondale it should include the new expander. My scale says 16g which is a huge improvement over the 50g old one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Good to know. Thanks!

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Anyone know if the expander is available separately yet?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I'll answer my own question: "Spring" according to the LBS' Cannondale rep...

owl

by owl

This may be a daft question but can you run the new sisl 2 with the rotor bsa bb30 bb adaptor. I have a bsa threaded frame and I much prefer the sisl 2 to the rotor 3d +
Owl

ms6073

by ms6073

Using the rotor BSA adaptor adds ~10mm per side so you would be moving the chainrings further away from the frame thus altering/pushing out the chairline.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

... And you'd need a longer spindle to accommodate it. It will not work.

owl

by owl

Thanks guys, not keen on rotor so thm m3 seems like the most. Sensible option for a stiff light compact crank
Owl

ms6073

by ms6073

thisisatest wrote:... And you'd need a longer spindle to accommodate it. It will not work.
Even with the new SiSL2 spindle which is 109 mm versus 104 mm, since Hollowgram was designed around a 68 mm bottom bracket shell width, adding 10 mm on the drive side for the BSA cups, simply pushes a hollowgram crankset/chainrings 10 mm further out from the expected chainline.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Don't know about the SISL crank bolt weights but I have just got some replacement SI arms from Cannondale. Was about to use the original SI crank bolts until I bought a pair of the SISL2 bolts off the bay to match the black replacement arms. You can feel the weight difference in the bolts intantly when holding them plus the new bolts have a wider bolt hole and are hollow.

quattrings

by quattrings

@shoemakerpom2010

According to Dr Cannondale the new bolts weigh 13g vs 14g for the old ones. Any chance you could weigh them?
I wanted to order black bolts anyway and will probably get the sisl2's.

Btw they are charging €249 for those butt ugly one piece chainrings. I think I'll go with Praxis works, thanks. :P

Edit: Removed quote

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

He has older, original bolts from the first SI cranks. That's why they aren't hollow and use a smaller, 8mm Allen wrench. And that's why the weight difference is greater.

skinnywellfed

by skinnywellfed

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:Don't know about the SISL crank bolt weights but I have just got some replacement SI arms from Cannondale. Was about to use the original SI crank bolts until I bought a pair of the SISL2 bolts off the bay to match the black replacement arms. You can feel the weight difference in the bolts intantly when holding them plus the new bolts have a wider bolt hole and are hollow.

Did you have some Hollowgrams that failed?

sovereign

by sovereign

timzcat wrote:I had to order a headset for my Evo Ult. and it came with the new expander.
Therefore if you order KP203 from Cannondale it should include the new expander. My scale says 16g which is a huge improvement over the 50g old one.

Have you installed the HS yet?

This new expander looks like it will provide less support for the clamping forces of the stem versus the previous version. Does this represent new thinking on Cannondale's part regarding how much support the steerer actually needs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Does not look like less support from what I've seen - the difference seems to be the scalloping of the "top cap" vs the current solid design. Looks like an old school plastic bar end plug now with "fins".

Since the clamping forces will be directly against the new "fins" there should be no loss in strength. Similar to the way a cardboard box is extremely strong on one axis but not the other.

Looks smart.