Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Always wanted a fillet brazed frame, looks nice...I don't really like the wheels and fork but never the less it's a nice looking bike!

ahki

by ahki

maverick_1 wrote:@ahki

Nice! Is that a custom frame?
This is the first time I've seen a fillet brazed Columbus SLX.

Everything looks great on your bike, Campagnolo 8 speed grouppo, Delta brakeset. Bella!
The only gripe would be the Spinergy wheels, which IMHO are a little out of place on such classic built.

Cheers!

Hi maverick_1 yes it is a a customer built. frame. it was built for me back in 1994
The Spinergy are from the same era so it is era correct.

I still have a pair of Campagnolo Delta Chrom Wheels on Campag C-Record Hubs as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ahki

by ahki

Wingnut wrote:Always wanted a fillet brazed frame, looks nice...I don't really like the wheels and fork but never the less it's a nice looking bike!

Hi Wingnut.

Not many people like the wheels. :( I really like them for what they are and it's era correct for the bike.

People say they implode and everything. I've bunny hopped on them a few times and they seem fine.

I still have the original Steel forks built by Chas Roberts for this fram as well. but I think these goes nicer with the Spinergy.

Montana

by Montana

ahki

That bike is awesome! Well done and timeless! can we get a photo with the other wheel set?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Hey ahki, keep the wheels...would like to see the original fork on though!

nickf

by nickf

OK finally finished the frame. Put the last cable guide on last week. Its just waiting for paint. House of kolor kajik blue. Built with Columbus spirit for lugs (pegorichie) with sachs lugs, and henry james stainless dropouts. Has a straight bladed fork to match. Fame comes in at 1750g ouch. 52ST and 54.5TT. Will be building the wife a true temper ox plat frame next. Going to hang a full rival group, 38 carbon clinchers, and kcnc bits. Been to cold to paint so have a wait for a warm day. Will post build pics.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ahki, it's funny you post a Roberts.

I had honestly not heard of them until I had the chance to ride the one that RIDE reviewed. They popped the details for it up

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=8180

I really liked its handling! Small tubes and handled like a race bike, big fan.

G19

by G19

Picked up this 2010 Baron Outsider for a commuter. True Temper 4130 OX Platinum frame.[url][[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/60996283@N04/8339253743/]Image[/url]
IMG_0905 by G26_OD, on Flickrurl]

michel2

by michel2

Thats a ripper of a comutter ! Very nice indeed!(;

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

@ nickf: cool to see you are building your own frame! You see more and more people doing it. Definitely something I would like to do next year when I have the time.

@G19: love you commuter. Would be great for CX too.

phlip

by phlip

Beautiful bike, G19.

May I ask from what parts those wheels are?

knef

by knef

@G19 really nice Baron! I followed their blog a few years back, but they seem to be out of business today... Can someone confirm?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

G19 that is a perfect bike you have.

I am after on of the new Pipedream CX frames next, or perhaps one of slasa efforts. I should have a go a building a frame.

Just acquired a Spectrum steel 531 frame and fork. My word the drop on the forks is enormous.

G19

by G19

phlip wrote:Beautiful bike, G19.

May I ask from what parts those wheels are?

Velocity rims laces to White Ind hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

G19

by G19

knef wrote:@G19 really nice Baron! I followed their blog a few years back, but they seem to be out of business today... Can someone confirm?

Ya they did. Geoff the frame builder received an offer to work for Santa Cruz that he couldn't refuse from what I hear.