Anyone else been ripped off by a fellow WW?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

SSB

by SSB

Is it possible to have a warning system/list setup around here? I seem to be the only one having problems with 89daytona as far as I know, but I don't know anyone else who may have bought from him. I would hope that at least, that prospective buyers could be warned at least if he sells again here.

I will do my part by reporting it as theft, but I think what makes me more angry is the time wasted waiting for the product, now I'm left scrambling to find another pair of KCNC C7s.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I presume viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102931&p=877374#p877374 "KCNC C7 brakes black new in box $170" posted on May 14 is the ad in question?

The same poster posted viewtopic.php?f=5&t=104465&p=891667#p891667 "Swissstop pads and carbon ones included. $210. New in box" posted on June 26.

So leaving aside whether the June 26 item is also black, it cost $40 more, but includes Swisstop pads vs. the May 14 ad. So would it have been worth another $40 to get (or perhaps, not get) Swisstop pads included?

Note: I have no first hand knowledge of this matter beyond finding posts by 89daytona.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SSB

by SSB

^

Yes, the first ad is the one concerned.

Just sent another e-mail off with a link to this thread. Seller sent me a picture with the brakes in a batch, as if it is supposed to prove they were sent out. I was not given the tracking number, and now it's conveniently been lost, thus the seller can't file a claim with Canada Post. By not having the tracking number and refusing to offer a refund/replacement, it's obvious that he has zero intention of making the situation right.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

SSB

by SSB

After all that negativity, I'm happy to report back with an excellent experience through this board.

I bought a Garmin 500 from GripShifter, and that deal could not have gone any better :thumbup: . I hope I didn't discourage anyone from trading on here, because probably 99% of deals around here end well, just that one bad apple can really poison the rest of the lot.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I bought some KCNC jockey wheels from 89daytona and he was quick to reply and ship them. I'm not a fan of paying as a gift, so I just paid him the extra 3%.
I've bought and sold things here and haven't had any problems, but I think some kind of seller rating system would be a good idea.

roca rule

by roca rule

what are you guys talking about. it seems that most weenies selling their stuff on this site are out to rip off fellow weenies, i mean they post stuff for retail when they might be close to new but you still lose on the warranty among other things. well after getting that off i have only bought 2 things from fellow weenies
1 scott cr1sl fork for about $100
and a pair of bont vaypors for $150 from Mdeth1313 :thumbup:

a year ago i sold the frameset on ebay, but somebody from this forum bought it and pm'd for details and for $150 he got the bars and stem. buyer's user name was littlebear, bu i do not think he posts stuff here that often.

nogueira.nuno

by nogueira.nuno

SSB wrote:After all that negativity, I'm happy to report back with an excellent experience through this board.

I bought a Garmin 500 from GripShifter, and that deal could not have gone any better :thumbup: . I hope I didn't discourage anyone from trading on here, because probably 99% of deals around here end well, just that one bad apple can really poison the rest of the lot.

GripShifter is the Men for sales :beerchug:

Some prices here are really to good to be true so... carefull

:thumbup:

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

I was looking at the for sale classifieds at some tubulars. I've been looking on Craigslist but having found anything rare.

Is it safe to buy from a stranger on a forum? Has anyone been scammed from this site?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I've bought and sold frequently on here with no issues.....safest bet is to buy from those with substantial, substantive posting activity.

fa63

by fa63

Agreed, I have had nothing but great transactions on here, but they have all been with well-established forum members.

Miller76

by Miller76

I've been buying and selling, nothing but good experiences so far...

Just be sure to use PayPal and do not use the "gift option"

Good luck

crohnsy

by crohnsy

I buy and sell frequently and have found things to be quite safe here. Like anywhere though, you need to protect yourself..

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Good experience so far, do check the seller's number of post before committing or sending funds to them to be on the safe side.

Cheers.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I've bought and sold plenty items, I've never had any problems 8)

elviento

by elviento

Most WWers are upright cyclists and I have had good experience buying here. That said, some have reported ripoffs. Afterall, this forum is only one registration away from scram artists.

So common sense should always be exercised (for any form of online buying).

As others suggested, frequent posters with substantive content and who have been registered for at least a couple of years should be fine.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com