H+son Archetype

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Elrey

by Elrey

I know it's not a new rim, but has any one any info on how the color holds up on the break surface on both matt black and anodized?
Sorry, if it's been up before, but i want some strong light rims that can hold the color after my R-sys SLR problems.
I know the color wont hold up for ever, but as long a possible with carbon cork pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr_tim

by mr_tim

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109815

not quite sure what you mean when you say carbon cork pads...?

Elrey

by Elrey

Thansk. Just med cork pads for carbon rims.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Elrey wrote:I know it's not a new rim, but has any one any info on how the color holds up on the break surface on both matt black and anodized?

The black won't last long at all. The hard ano might. I'd guess about the same as the old days when hard ano was popular... which was awhile, but before the rest of the rim had issues. It will depend a lot on how much braking you do, and if it's wet and gritty.
formerly rruff...

boneman

by boneman

Same experience. My black one's lasted about 150km and then one Singapore rain storm later and the braking surfaces were silver.

WMW wrote:
Elrey wrote:I know it's not a new rim, but has any one any info on how the color holds up on the break surface on both matt black and anodized?

The black won't last long at all. The hard ano might. I'd guess about the same as the old days when hard ano was popular... which was awhile, but before the rest of the rim had issues. It will depend a lot on how much braking you do, and if it's wet and gritty.
The facts, while interesting, are not relevant.......

Juggler

by Juggler

Daniel, if you want to keep the braking surface black, there is probably only one way... and that is full carbon clincher (I know you are not into tubulars).

The cheapest way is to look for some 20/24 mm asian carbon rims - there are loads of these on Ebay. Then hook them up with a set of lightweight hubs.

Pros: Lightweight and stealthy looking

Cons: Not as good braking power in the rain as on an alloy rim

If you have more €€€ you can look for some more expensive rims - Enve, Corima or Zipp.

Otherwise keep the SLR's. There is no weight limit on them - and they are pretty light. Only bad thing is the visual look of the braking surface.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

EKIMIKE

by EKIMIKE

I've got the Hard Ano Grey version. After a couple of descents down a grubby lane in terrible conditions the surface is wearing away. I'm using KoolStop Salmon pads which are very soft. I've probably ridden a total of 150 miles on them.

In short - they won't last.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

My Black Archetypes have seen maybe 100miles now, still perfectly black (but I am running disc brakes...)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

maddog 2

by maddog 2

what build are you running with the Archetypes, bikewithnoname?

EDIT.. spotted it :wink:

I need some new, stealthy disc wheels for the commuter/trainer and I'm tempted with the Archetypes. Or A23s.

mjduct

by mjduct

I'm gonna throw a set on disc hubs... no worry about the black coming off then =]

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

I put Archetypes on my commuter with discs and they are great. Strong and comfy. Here's a short blog post and photo of the Kinesis Tripster with Archetypes / DT Swiss 240 + Supernova dynamo front combination.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/kinesis-tripster-review/
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com