Scott Plasma 3 TT build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

portiabaines

by portiabaines

Just been lucky enough to buy a Scott Plasma 3 TT frame at a good price.

Hope to post some more build pictures shortly.

I come from a MTB background so it could make for an interesting couple of months firstly trying to build it up and then learning how to ride it !!

I competed in a couple of Duathlons at the end of 2012 on my mountain bike which turned a few heads (funny seeing my Scott Scale RC racked up next to full blown Time Trial bikes).

The full aero boys couldn't keep up on the hills but left me for dead on the flat where the aero advantage kicked in (and I ran out of gears/stamina).
Last edited by portiabaines on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards

Portia Baines

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Get this built up and some more pic's!

hansonator69

by hansonator69

So awesome! Not a bad first TT bike. :wink: can't wait to see it built up
Slam your stem.

portiabaines

by portiabaines

Just started gathering all the bits I need to complete the build.

The instructions stated that only a Shimano 7800 rear brake would fit so I promptly ordered one. It fits perfect but I'm pretty sure 7900 would of fitted.

The pads and holders supplied with the 7800 brake weigh approx 35.7g for the pair with aluminium compatible pads.

I've changed them for KCNC holders and Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro pads which weigh approx 28.2g

Not a huge saving in weight but the saving would of been a lot greater had I not needed carbon compatible pads which are approx 6g heavier

Just received my TriRig Omega front brake so I'll post some photos of it shortly
Regards

Portia Baines

portiabaines

by portiabaines

Just wondering what other options there are for handle bar stems as the one supplied with the frame weighs in at 463grams with steels bolts.

Changing to titanium bolts will knock off a few 10's of grams as there are 8 bolts in total.

Does anyone supply a lighter alternative for my Plasma 3 TT DI2 which will still look good?
Regards

Portia Baines

NGMN

by NGMN

I think there are actually two considerations in changing stems.

First, only the team bikes(Plasma 3 TT) got that particular stem if I recall correctly. So, I don't believe the standard stem would fit, seen here:
http://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/produ ... 1227EF0254

Second, that stem is specific to that aerobar, so if you change the stem, you will have to change bars.

If you really want to change, I guess try experimenting or contact Scott. I'd guess that one is your only option.

grid256

by grid256

You might be stuck with that stem, which I don't think is a bad thing. True, it's _heavy_ but it routes so nice and you'll have a hard time matching that. I have the custom stem Shimano made for the Shiv and it too weighs over 400 grams. You can however use other bars, which would be a place to save lots of weight.

portiabaines

by portiabaines

Sounds like the supplied stem is the way forward. Looks great but weighs a ton.

Just been playing with the TriRig Omega front brake which looks great.

It came supplied with a bag containing the latest modifications which was a simple task to fit

With Zipp carbon specific pads and the supplied steel M6 40mm bolt kit it weighs in at 132grams.

Struggling to find a hex (10mm socket size) M6 x 40mm titanium bolt to replace the supplied steel one. Any ideas? The guy from TriRig couldn't help.
Regards

Portia Baines

portiabaines

by portiabaines

Just finished rebuilding the front TriRig and rear Shimano 7800 brakes in an attempt to get their weights down.

The front TriRig brake complete with Titanium bolts and Zipp carbon specific pads came in at 126 grams

The rear Shimano 7800 brake complete with Titanium brake nut, KCNC pad carriers and Zipp carbon specific pads came in at 146 grams

The titanium hardware basically offset the extra weight of the Zipp carbon specific brake pads.

Looks like I'm heading towards a 8Kg total weight including Zipp 404/808 wheels, Shimano Dura-Ace 7970 Di2 TT changers/mechs and 7900 gearing.
Regards

Portia Baines

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Scotts are supposed to be black, yellow and white. Loks good!

manne

by manne

Nice build.

Have you thought about removing the decals on the front wheel and swapping the saddle for a tt specific one?

Juggler

by Juggler

^ I agree... there is a little TOO much going on with the decals on that front wheel.

Other wise... nice build!
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

portiabaines

by portiabaines

Managed to get some free time to get my brakes set up. Routing the cables is very time consumming and to say things are tight is a bit of an understatement. The Di2 cables have been a complete nightmare. The photos in the Scott handbook are a work of fiction as there's no way it'll fit like they show with my 90mm stem (as supplied with the medium frame)

Front brake is a TriRig Omega and the rear is Dura-Ace 7800 (as recommended by Scott). Might eventually change the rear as the clearances are not as bad as I was expecting.

Rest of the build is Dura-Ace 7970 10 speed, Zipp Firecrest Clinchers (404 front and 808 rear), Conti Attack/Force tyres and hopefully the new fully integrated seat/seatpost solution from Dash. The guys from Dash have been very helpful and hopefully the Dash seatpost will allow for Di2 battery cable routing.

Looks like I'm heading towards a 8Kg build complete with pedals (and thats with every bolt changed to either a Titanium or Aluminium one).

Here's some more photos to be going on with:-

Will post some more infomation and photos very soon hopefully

Cheers
Regards

Portia Baines

bonafide

by bonafide

Very nice build on the plasma 2. I am currently at S-1 and need to consolidate road and TT bikes. Looking at my reach and stack for road and T set-ups the plasma (large) fals right in the middle. Obviously there are compromises with a dual-purpose bike, or dual purpose anything for that matter but there are also compromises that have to be made to keep peace at home as well :)

So if anyone knows of a large frame for sale, I'm all ears .

eigner

by eigner

Amazing! Any updates to this??
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com