Your Favourite Cycling books

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sawyer

by sawyer

David Millar's book is cac.

Tbh I don't think there are many good cycling books.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Colnago68

by Colnago68

Just got "Merckx 525". I have not started to read it yet but it looks great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

“Mountain High: Europe's 50 Greatest Cycle Climbs” by Daniel Friebe and Pete Goding

bomber

by bomber

Imaking20 wrote:Bike Snob
Racing Through the Dark - David Millar
Boy Racer - Mark Cavendish

I just finished The Secret Race and while I appreciate the detail, overall I can't say I really care for the book. The book was more about Lance than about Tyler and it was difficult to detect much remorse - it seemed more about vindication. Compare to Millar's book which was truly a pleasure to read...

TBH I came away with the complete opposite opinion. Millar doesn't go into much detail either about racing or 'preparation' and mostly comes off as a self righteous and self rating referencing his natural talent throughout the book. I actually quite liked him till I read his book.

*edited for spelling
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

QuattroAssini

by QuattroAssini

Recently finished up 'Road To Valor' by Aili and Andres McConnon. Was nice to read a cycling related book not about a negative side of the peloton. I don't know how true the story told is, but it was a good read and makes me think well of Gino Bartali.

Definitely worth a read if you're tired of most of the recent fare...

TuplaO

by TuplaO

sawyer wrote:David Millar's book is cac.

Tbh I don't think there are many good cycling books.

Thanks for your input, anyway!

Dalai

by Dalai

I enjoyed King of the Mountains by Matt Rendell. How Colombia's cycling heroes changed their nations history.

sawyer

by sawyer

bomber wrote:

I just finished The Secret Race and while I appreciate the detail, overall I can't say I really care for the book. The book was more about Lance than about Tyler and it was difficult to detect much remorse - it seemed more about vindication. Compare to Millar's book which was truly a pleasure to read...

TBH I came away with the complete opposite opinion. Millar doesn't go into much detail either about racing or 'preparation' and mostly comes off as a self righteous and self rating referencing his natural talent throughout the book. I actually quite liked him till I read his book.

*edited for spelling

+1 ... Millar's book is cac.

Boring stuff. Will read Hamilton's given what people are saying.

Stand by my earlier post though - really there are very few if any good cycling books.

lechat

by lechat

The Rider
French Revolutions ( standard British humor stuff. Pokes a lot of fun at the French)
Team 7 11 ( Dull writing but interesting history. Especially if you're american.)

mrfish

by mrfish

Hamilton's book is pretty good, and I thought exploded a lot of myths (in my mind at least) about person x not knowing about the doping going on at that time. I personally liked his analysis of Lance's character, and for me the book also opens up a few questions about Contador and the Schlecks.

Taming the Badger, When we were young and carefree, In search of Robert Millar and The death of Marco Pantani are all excellent. Millar's book was OK, but not something to worry about missing unless you're a big fan.

Next on my list to get are some of the books on Bjarne Riis - interesting to see whether Mr 60%'s own story matches the information released by others.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

bomber wrote:

*edited for spelling

I suppose I went into reading Millar's book with the desire to read an autobiography and learn more about the rider - I felt he did that quite well. I think his personality came through in the book very well and he described his life and his journey through cycling.

I thought Tyler Hamilton wrote a biography about Lance and doping. On one hand, I appreciated the details but on the other... it just felt bitter. The introduction to the book (written by Coyle) describes a kind, gentle, and extremely likeable guy in Tyler Hamilton -- I never got that through his own words nor through his interviews I've seen in the last year.

Sawyer, I'd wager you disliked Millar long before his book. Cycling fans seem to hold a serious grudge.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I've also just finished reading Wiggin's book My Time. I wish he'd gone into more detail on the stages. It was a very calculated ride for him and is basically a tale of wattage the whole way through. Basically stated - we rode harder in training than we did during the race.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

freddy maertens used to train harder than he raced, as well as take other things too...maybe wiggins and him have something in common? ;)

giant man

by giant man

Imaking20 wrote:
bomber wrote:

*edited for spelling

I suppose I went into reading Millar's book with the desire to read an autobiography and learn more about the rider - I felt he did that quite well. I think his personality came through in the book very well and he described his life and his journey through cycling.

I thought Tyler Hamilton wrote a biography about Lance and doping. On one hand, I appreciated the details but on the other... it just felt bitter. The introduction to the book (written by Coyle) describes a kind, gentle, and extremely likeable guy in Tyler Hamilton -- I never got that through his own words nor through his interviews I've seen in the last year.

Sawyer, I'd wager you disliked Millar long before his book. Cycling fans seem to hold a serious grudge.

Perhaps thats because Millar is a cheat and brought a book out to clear his own conscience

sawyer

by sawyer

Imaking20 wrote:Sawyer, I'd wager you disliked Millar long before his book. Cycling fans seem to hold a serious grudge.

By "wager" I assume you're betting me money? In which case you owe me cash, as I actually quite like Millar, and did before his book, and after (a bit less). It's his book that was mediocre at best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com