Tubular for Canadian spring riding (slush, dirt, sand, etc.)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm thinking of keeping my Major Tom wheels and putting some wider tubulars for spring riding.
But all I can seem to find is either Cyclocross 32-34mm tires, or bigger road (25-27mm) tires.

Is there something like "in between" ?
Big tire, stable on slush, occasional icy slush, sand over asphalt, dirt from winter accumulation.
Low rolling resistance. Not a full threaded cyclocross tire. I'm only riding on the asphalt.

Thanks,

Louis :)

c50jim

by c50jim

Are you looking for something like a tubular version of the Michelin Jet? Maybe Vittoria XN would be fairly close.

The only question I'd have about tubulars in those conditions is the frequency of flats. I find that's the time of year I'm most susceptible to flats because little chips make their way through the casing.

Oh, and with ice, when I used to commute, I found that studs were the only safe thing then. Of course, they make any nice bike into a brick with an extra pound or so of rolling weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

What about a file tread cross tire? Might be hard to find narrower than a 30 or so

LouisN

by LouisN

Yes, in a perfect world, I'd like to find a (hard to puncture) 28-30mm Challenge Grifo XS, or the like (Vittoria XN maybe)... :( . I also checked for Michelin Jet.
Not shure a 28mm road tire like the Paris-Roubaix would hold on these conditions.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have been riding the classic herringbone tire for 20+ years in our Canadian spring weather. Never had a problem. If there is too much ice down to ride that tire, it is too dangerous to ride road anyway.

LouisN

by LouisN

23mm ?

Tire pressure ?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Challenge has a 30mm tubular that's fairly "in between". Not sure if it's any good, but would certainly like to find out :-)

LouisN

by LouisN

There are a few 30mm clincher options, but I only see 32mm for tubulars.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Vittoria Pave CG comes in 27mm - have not tried it but have heard great comments
Challenge Paris-Roubaix comes in 27mm - this is my tire for the kermesse races and has done superbly
The only other I can think so and it might be a bit tougher but not as wide is Conti Sprinter Gatorskin 25mm - the least expensive of the 3 at below $100/pair
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Ok ! I missed that one, though it was only a clincher version.

I'll be looking at this one or the Parigi Roubaix.

Thanks,

The Vittoria Pave CG 27 might be a nice option too.

Geoff

by Geoff

Louis wrote:23mm ?

Tire pressure ?

Various tires and pressures. With respect to tires, I find that any of the classic herringbone tubulars work fine. I still like the Vittoria All-Weather's (but I am running out now) in 23mm (they seem a bit wider). As for pressure, it depends on the day. I will run them down to 85/95 front/rear, if it is really messy. If you rode higher volume (25mm or 27mm) Vittoria Pave tires, you could run them lower still...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com