Difference b/w Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate '10, '11 & '12?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bregne

by Bregne

The headline gives it away.

What's the most notbile differences?

Thanks lads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

You should update the title to spell out "Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate" to get get more responses.

I'm interested in the answer too. I only picked up on the "MCC" abbreviation as I was about to ask the same question
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I had a CCU '11 model year. The only difference at that time between 11 and 10 was the graphics -- the 11 being more subtle. I know the 12 has new graphics -- not sure there are other differences. Great wheelset.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

As far as I know the only difference is really only on the graphics.
The weight remained unchanged and so did the design. I doubt that they really changed anything, I guess that they'll keep the same design for a few more years (I mean, hey, LW had the same moulds for 10+ years :lol:).

audiophilitis wrote: Great wheelset.

+1

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Any ideas if the Mavic CCU will be any different for 2014? perhaps at interbike?

am asking because I can see some aggressive discounting going on....;-)

Cheers

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I believe the 2014 model uses Mavic's new 9mm rear axle (drive side), compared to 8mm on the old.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

audiophilitis wrote: Great wheelset.

+1[/quote]

+2
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

For 2014, the CCU wheels get what we call TgMAX carbon fiber. It's a specific carbon/resin blend (several different kinds) that is followed by a heat treatment protocol to raise the melting point (Tg or glass transition temperature). Finally, the exterior gets a mechanical finish treatment to rough up the surface a bit. it provides amazing brake bite, especially in the wet where we measure stopping distances of 1/2 the nearest competitor.

But even in the 2013 and 2012 versions, these wheels are pretty fantastic. really exceptional feel that has to be experienced!
thanks all for your interest, and don't hesitate to PM. I get alert emails and usually can respond more rapidly!
-zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Zack,
Does the weight change for 2014 with the new CF and finish surface? or do they just get sexier?

vlastrada

by vlastrada

cheers....in the meantime I found this pic from Bikerumour

so from afar it *looks* virtually unchanged, including the slightly drab-looking 12k weave....

not sure whether it's worth waiting for the improved 2014 version at $3,750 with a small discount or get the '13 with a big discount....

on the previous CCUs is wet weather braking worse than LW G3s ?

I am curious on the

i extent of improvements over '13 model (other than braking)
ii when available
iii weight

Bikerumour doesn't say much [url]http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/03/eb13-mavic-grows-650b-mountain-bike-wheel-line-fresh-cosmic-road-wheels-new-gear/
[/url]

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Not worse, on par with LW IIIs with SSY pads. Muchmuch better with SS Prince pads though! But they do wear faster.

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

No weight change for 2014. just a change to the resin composition and finish treatment. the pro teams have been riding the MY13 and earlier version in Europe for the last 3 years in all conditions including rain. I am sure the upgraded braking performance is worth waiting for, but on the other hand if you can get a steep discount and you ride mostly in the dry, then just get the 2013 version. That's what I've been riding and no complaints whatsoever!

Coloclimber has tested them with different brake pads, in particular the newer swisstops. technically using anything other than the swiss yellow could void the warranty but it sounds like the black prince pads are working well on the MY13 and earlier carbon surface.
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

coloclimber

by coloclimber

The Prince's let me quietly pass all the fixies descending Lookout Mountain.
Whats up with dat?

RedRacer

by RedRacer

MavicZack wrote:No weight change for 2014. just a change to the resin composition and finish treatment.

Any photos of the 2014 version CCU available? Is the finish matte or glossy? Same decals?

Does anyone know where I can find aero test numbers for the CCU wheelset? I know they have tested to be stiff but I haven't heard much about their aero properties.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com