Campagnolo Eps externally fitted?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

Dont know if this is the right place to ask this but,
is it possible to put eps on my c59 mechanical frameset?
can it be done?if not i might have a frameset for sale so that
i can get a electrical version
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

c50jim

by c50jim

I bought an EPS group earlier this year and talked with my mechanic about putting it on a non-electronic frame. He said it would work but he would have to leave the wires taped or zip tied on the outside of the frame. That didn't sound very attractive since it would leave wires that I thought would be fragile exposed to the elements and to getting ripped or cut. Colnago North America didn't have a C59 in a colour I liked in my size and said 8 weeks for delivery, which I suspected could be 80, so I just put the group on a Wilier Cento Uno. It's a pretty good bike too. If it fits you, I think there's a 56 sloping C59 electronic on eBay now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Doable but messy.
downtube.
chainstay.
bb junction.
Last edited by ome rodriguez on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

That looks pretty ghetto ... :shock:

Hmm... think there's a market for people to come up with kits that clean up the wiring routing for EPS there .. ?

apLe

by apLe

Please, don't spoil such a great frame with external wiring. As I wrote previously in the same thread you had started, change your frame or stay with mechanical. I don't think anybody would agree that di2/eps externally mounted looks fine. It looks rubbish, but of course can be done. Just my two cents.
18' R5 coming soon...

markyboy

by markyboy

apLe wrote:Please, don't spoil such a great frame with external wiring. As I wrote previously in the same thread you had started, change your frame or stay with mechanical. I don't think anybody would agree that di2/eps externally mounted looks fine. It looks rubbish, but of course can be done. Just my two cents.

I wont be doing it externally thats for sure so no worries :beerchug:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

apLe

by apLe

:thumbup:
18' R5 coming soon...

wingguy

by wingguy

ome rodriguez wrote:Doable but messy.
downtube.
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 002-49.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could use the channeled tape from Shimano to get it a lot neater than that, surely?

External DI2 set ups done like that still look icky up close, but a lot less noticeable at first glance.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I did it on my Colnago C50 frame for about two months. Like stated above. It is very messy and tacky. I used the Shimano external cable guides/tape. I helps a little but still leaves the wires exposed at the frame junctions. I was so unhappy with it that I ordered a C59 Di2 frame set to get ride of the external problem.

Dammit

by Dammit

Obviously a Di2/EPS frame is preferable, but you can do a pretty neat job with the Shimano "U" channel wire-guide stickers I think.

Probably a bad example as I ran the wiring harness for my old SRM in the same way, and you can see a loop of it under the stem, but otherwise it's fairly tidy:

I am, of course, expecting to get flamed to a crisp now.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

It's a black kit on black downtube so it's pretty neat if you ask me on your bike :thumbup:

RussellS

by RussellS

Whoever did that job of running the Di2 cables on the bike with zip ties should have a hammer taken to his head and beaten until dead. Disgraceful. The U channel guides sold by Shimano look fine and do a very neat job of routing the cables underneath the downtube and chainstay. It is preferable if your frame is black.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

RussellS wrote:Whoever did that job of running the Di2 cables on the bike with zip ties should have a hammer taken to his head and beaten until dead. Disgraceful. The U channel guides sold by Shimano look fine and do a very neat job of routing the cables underneath the downtube and chainstay. It is preferable if your frame is black.

Those pics are of EPS not Di2 so not sure the EPS cables will actually go in the Shimano external guides. Either way yes, it's a fairly messy job they've done!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So does anyone know if EPS cabling will fit in the Di2 external guides?

shillc

by shillc

The Shimano tape guide fits EPS perfectly. I installed EPS externally on my Parlee Z1 in September. Very happy with performance. The Shimano tape goes a long way to a neat camouflage.
Cheers,

Joe

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com