New Garmin Edge 810 and 510

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CBJ

by CBJ

xrs2 wrote:Garmin 800 is fine, but I wonder whose dumb idea it was to not have easily swappable batteries. Makes the thing next to useless for >14 hour rides.

As said not many people ride more than 14 hours per day. If you really need more battery power you can bring a battery pack and charge the unit when you take a breaks.

I really like my Edge 800 not that I do not think some of the suggestions in this thread sounds interesting. I more would wish the bike directions and trails that show up on Google would transfer better to the Garmin maps and that it in the first place would have bike friendly routes when if you type in a destination.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xrs2

by xrs2

djm wrote:Not an awful lot of people have 14 hour rides. Maybe that is why :beerchug:

Well, everyone involved in randonneuring and other long-distance enthusiasts...it would be nice to have a hot-swappable battery pack but you're probably right, the audience is rather limited. :D

xrs2

by xrs2

CBJ wrote:
xrs2 wrote: I more would wish the bike directions and trails that show up on Google would transfer better to the Garmin maps and that it in the first place would have bike friendly routes when if you type in a destination.

I use Ride With GPS, and the TCX files that the site exports work great with Garmin...

And if you're in Brooklyn, you should come up to the Catskills and enjoy some great roads...only 1.5 hours by Metro North to Poughkeepsie.

Some routes in Ulster and Dutchess for you if you're interested:

http://ridewithgps.com/users/47181

And some more description on a blog I'm just getting started (link below)

markyboy

by markyboy

tonytourist wrote:I want to see them incorporate some kind of wifi sync so I would never have to plug my Garmin into my computer :idea:

+1 on that wifi will be so good,as i have said before i think we will see maor upgrades i hope.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

milroy

by milroy

Except that you still have to plug in to charge it.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I just found the edge 810 in a dropdown menu of the Garmin site. it is only mentioned there. not pictured.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm not sure you can rely on the Edge 800 lasting 14 hours. I lost GPS during a double (during an Edge 500 upload snafu, with earlier, buggier firmware) and it didn't make me happy at all. I really wanted that Strava activity to see how I'd done on the climbs relative to other riders, or how much time I'd lost in a wrong turn (why I took a wrong turn when using and Edge 500 is a good question: I'd not at the time known how to use the navigation feature).

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Frankie - B wrote:I just found the edge 810 in a dropdown menu of the Garmin site. it is only mentioned there. not pictured.

I got a picture of Edge 810 and one of the new Edge 510

Link http://www.makestudio.co.uk/sites/beta/ ... cling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See all my bike h e r e

CBJ

by CBJ

Nice find sounds like some fun features in the new versions. 510 looks sleek.

djconnel

by djconnel

Real time data is potentially huge. It would be great to be able to track people real-time, phone batteries permitting.

LVGH

by LVGH

This is already possible with numerous phone apps such as Endomondo and Run.GPS. Don't tell your wife/gf. :mrgreen:

keith

by keith

I find 'Glympse' very useful for ad-hoc reporting my position back to base.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sethjs

by sethjs

LVGH wrote:This is already possible with numerous phone apps such as Endomondo and Run.GPS. Don't tell your wife/gf. :mrgreen:

Being able to rely on the garmin gps chip rather than your phone 's would save a bunch of battery

djconnel

by djconnel

sethjs wrote:
LVGH wrote:This is already possible with numerous phone apps such as Endomondo and Run.GPS. Don't tell your wife/gf. :mrgreen:

Being able to rely on the garmin gps chip rather than your phone 's would save a bunch of battery

Good points. Real issue is keeping my phone on all the time will suck the battery, but then it's an old HTC Incredible and battery life is much better on, for example, iPhone 5.

In any case, I look forward to seeing how much it weighs. Edge 500 is around 56 grams.

LVGH

by LVGH

Putting the phone in flight mode makes a difference. Logging for up to 10 hours is possible with most devices. Of course you'll have to keep the screen off.
These 510 and 810 do not seem to provide any substantial improvements over the old models. But Garmin dominates the market anyway so I guess they don't have to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com