Best value / performance Campagnolo 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Flint

by Flint

I recall a post a while ago with people opinions on which parts to go for from either Super record, record or chorus. Can anybody help with a link? I've done a search and can't seem to find it.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I don't have the link but I'll say again what I said then. new SR and Record look OK together because of the red accents but Chorus looks different because it doesn't have the accents. Function of all three is very similar. IIRC, the weight difference is that Record is 121 grams lighter than Chorus, SR another 59 grams lighter than Record. Based on Ribble prices, Record is about 50% more expensive than Chorus, SR about double. Chorus is the best value for the money, SR is "the best", whatever that means. I can't really give you a perfect comparison because my SR group is EPS but Chorus seems as good as my old 10 speed Record.

Flint

by Flint

Thanks c50jim.

I had a 2009 SR groupset which I've just sold and understand that the shift action is betters in the 2012 onwards groups, it's just down to whether to for for SR again as I'm not too bothered about the red highlights.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I heard from somewhere that the Chorus front derailleur shifts better than the Record and Super Record... Is that true? Or just a myth?

Irish

by Irish

Imho, I think Chorus is without doubt the best value g/set there is of all 3 big players. It has the functionality of the most prestigious g/sets (SuperRecord, Dura Ace, Red) for slightly more weight and a lot less cash.

wasabi1

by wasabi1

I had this debate with myself a while ago and I couldn't look past chorus. Functionally no different to the other two.

Not like the other two manufacturers. New red is definitely superior to force. As new dura ace is definitely superior to ultegra.

wasabi1

by wasabi1

The only thing I would be jealous of are the red accents!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Flint wrote:I had a 2009 SR groupset which I've just sold and understand that the shift action is betters in the 2012 onwards groups, it's just down to whether to for for SR again as I'm not too bothered about the red highlights.

Actually, the 2011 onwards incorporate the changes that make the 2009/10 groups slightly less desirable. Aside from the cosmetics, the three main functional differences are:
1) Shift action is stiffened up a bit and feels more positive (2009/10 had very light shift action that many Campy users did not like, so they made it stiffer again).
2) The front chainrings have more pins and make for much quicker and crisper front shifting. Very nice.
3) The return spring in the rear derailleur was stiffened up a bit allowing better movement "down" the cog ramp. Still very important to have clean friction free cable routing however.

Either of the groups you're looking at are great and it is true that a few grams difference (ti spindle for example) and the red ring and other highlights come at a very high cost. So, go with what you feel comfortable spending.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Cheers! wrote:I heard from somewhere that the Chorus front derailleur shifts better than the Record and Super Record... Is that true? Or just a myth?

As I recall, Quickstep used Chorus front mechs when they were on Campag due to its stiffer cage as did the SRAM sponsored teams as they used force rather than red front mechs. I'm planning on doing the same with my new C59 and have a Super Record group with a Chorus front mech. The weight gain is all of about 5 grams.

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

ticou

by ticou

I chose Chorus because of it's greater durability. It has been ultra reliable over 14K km's and looks just as nice as R and still runs silent and smooth.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I have ridden my Chorus group further and in worse weather than my dad who has SR and his levers have gone back to Enigma 2 times as the shift mechanism has died.

I'd say only get Record or Super Record if you want the prestige.

ichobi

by ichobi

Chorus best bang for the buck from Campy. If you want to go cheap mix it up with Athena and you still get stellar performance. If you like the bling, opt for Record shifter and crank. Still i prefer Chorus black on black look. Understated and elegant.

boysa

by boysa

I'll second the notion the Chorus front derailleur is a better bet than the SR or Record. I switched to the Chorus model after having to replace a SR because the carbon didn't hold up. After the change, I found the Chorus to be a bit crisper, actually.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

serbelo

by serbelo

Best value and performance I would go with Chorus.
There was a thread by Jason comparing SR,R and chorus and being weight weenies he removed the cranks,bb,cables,cassette,brakes and chain leaving behind just the shifters fd and rd.The chorus just weighed a little more like10g than the record.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101775
Cervelo R2.5
Cervelo P2c
Cervelo R3
Parlee Z3
Parlee TT

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flint

by Flint

So does this mean the 2012 onwards chorus has the improved lever feel and downshift?

Thanks