Sizing FSA Bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

FSA compact bars rather unconveniently splay outwards at the drops. They are measured c-c at the drops.

My normal bar size is 42 c-c (Deda), so if switching to FSA do you recommend I go for 44 in an attempt to factor out the splay and get something the same width?

Just how much do these bars splay outwards?

If you are reading this Mr Full Speed Ahead, why not include drawings of your bars on your website so that people like me do end up making expensive mistakes by buying the wrong size handlebar? Or why not measure, say, c-c where the levers attach, like Ritchey rather conveniently do?

Doolop

by Doolop

On FSA bars go the same size you usually ride. They truly don't flair much, unlike an easton bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atzialis

by atzialis

Just measured my old FSA SL-K 42cm handlebars. The measure 42cm c-c at the drops and just over 40cm c-c (approx. 40.5cm) where the hoods mount.
Hope that helps you.

MaxDaddy

by MaxDaddy

So, for example, their 44 would ride like a 42?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

My 40 sizes as a 39 c to c. As I was coming down from a 42 it was noticeable but I prefer the narrowness.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

MaxDaddy wrote:So, for example, their 44 would ride like a 42?

exactly. My bar size is 42, so i ordered a fsa 420, and noticed how narrow it was. I then ordered a fsa 44 and it measures 42 c-c in the hoods. Fsa now included pics on their site, but no ones look at them. they should definitely rename them, otherwise people will always buy a too narrow bar... ackward.

KWalker

by KWalker

Its not precisely 2mm of flare difference, but close.

People overblow the importance of road bar width. Unless you go from a 40 to 44 the difference is fairly small as no one's shoulder joints are precisely those widths and also your arms are not locked into place so that whole breathing restriction myth is completely false. Its surprising to see how many bigger pros go with 42s and in some cases 40s and do just fine. Elbow pad width is much more finite.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

DaveS

by DaveS

If you're buying FSA compact bars, I'd buy 2cm wider. I bought some when they first came out and got my normal 40cm width, but the hoods were spaced at 38cm, that was just too narrow.

I prefer the Easton EC-90 SLX3. They flare out a little at the drops, but my normal 40cm width worked fine.

KWalker

by KWalker

Funny thing I learned from working at a shop and knowing a lot of fitters- they mostly recommend 3T ergonovas, FSA compacts, and Easton compacts because of the flare. People always want wider bars than they should be on because of old myths and that way the fitters could cant the shifters in and run a 2cm narrower bar, but the rider would think they were on something wider.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

c50jim

by c50jim

My bikes usually have either Deda Zero 100 or FSA compact bars, all 42 c-c. I have to say I prefer the FSAs slightly. The narrower bar at the hoods doesn't bother me and I really like the shape. Frankly, I hardly notice the difference from one set of bars to the next.

Don

by Don

The 3T Ergonova handlebars have a 6 degree flare from the tops which according to 3t means that the bar is 1.6 cm narrower at the hoods. Some of the FSA compact bars have a 4 degree flare. The K-Wing Compact has a 2 degree flare. Aside from being narrower FSA does not specify what this means for the measurement at the hoods but presumably it is less than 1.6 cm.

I used to think that there was not much difference in handlebar sizes. However, I have recently changed my 42 cm Ergonova to 40 cm and find that there is a comfortable difference. I bought the 40 cm Ergonova from another cyclist who was going to the 42 cm width because he thought that the 40 was too narrow at the hoods.

I am not certain that there is an answer to your question. It depends on your comfort.

Praha19300

by Praha19300

can concur re the compact bar dimensions bought a pair of 42's and put them straight on ebay recommended for midgets

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Praha19300 wrote:can concur re the compact bar dimensions bought a pair of 42's and put them straight on ebay recommended for midgets

This is how FSA achieves its bar sales. Black mark for not putting sufficient sizing info on their website. Bunch of dum a****.

Just received my FSA Wing Pro Compact size 44 at the (flared) drops. Measures 42.5 at the bends.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com