New Ciamillo Gravitas SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

bura wrote:If you want to spend around 60 bucks for 1 saved gr then the Gravitas SL are the way to go.

How the brakes actually brake being irrelevant?

Not that I necessarily disagree....

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Juan, should you also state that there is a conflict of interest on your posts supporting Ciamillo?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Trashing? Here is the "trashing" on slowtwitch.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=4351060#4351060 wrote:Runless

Dec 30, 12 12:30

Post #9 of 11 (210 views)

Re: New cranks by Ciamillo. [SadPanda] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
Hey Panda

Feel free to review forum rules and then delete your post:

"WHAT CAN'T I POST HERE? We are especially cranky about trial-by-internet. Do not register to post on this forum only to have your first post be a complaint against a company doing business in the sport of triathlon. Do not lodge a complaint against a named entity unless you yourself are willing to be identifiable, that is, no anonymous rants. Do not EVER say somebody's product is unsafe unless you have rock-solid demonstrable proof. This is as much for your benefit as anyone's (we'd prefer your hot temper doesn't result in a lawsuit a manufacturer lodges against you). Do not accuse anyone of taking performance enhancing drugs."

----------------------

jackmott

Dec 30, 12 12:31

Post #10 of 11 (208 views)

Re: New cranks by Ciamillo. [SadPanda] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
You know you can call your credit card company and have them undo the charge right?

-----------------------

SadPanda

Dec 30, 12 12:35

Post #11 of 11 (194 views)

Re: New cranks by Ciamillo. [jackmott] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
@Runless - I am an ex-triathlete so won't be posting regularly obviously but my intent was not just to gripe. The company is currently requesting prepayments for new components and I feel it's in the community's interests to warn them of my experience. I have offered to provide any documentation required to the mods. If the mods feel the post is inappropriate I will abide by their decision.

@jackmott - I was not aware of that given the time frame involved but I will look into it, thank-you for the advice.

(This post was edited by SadPanda on Dec 30, 12 12:36)

Trashing? :noidea:

Mackers

by Mackers

Wow, some vicious attacks right there :)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

It has all been covered in a few other threads, 2 have been locked, but there is one one on brakes that pretty well covers this stuff. I don't think this thread was intended for the same thing. Do a search and you can find the other one.
Speedplay is the devil!

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

@SadPanda, wouldn't it make more sense to post your experiences in the Cycle Chat section in a separate thread. I would still read it, but when I read this thread I just want to look at some nice brakes. :D

Juanmoretime wrote:This person also posted over at Slowtwitch and the members trashed this guy. He does have the option of using his credit card company to resolve the issue and admitted this on Slowtwitch it was true. So he's posting without taking all measures to resolve his issues.

Juan, to be fair to the guy, assuming that what he's posted is all true, surely he has the right to post his experience? Ok, he's hasn't done everything possible to rectify the situation but surely you could understand why he might be a little upset at this point? I don't know who is at fault in that situation and it's not really any of my business, but assuming that his post is factual, I think that it's fair enough for him to post it. I think that readers should also bear in mind that for every one bad post there could be hundreds of happy customers riding around with Ciamillo brakes.

SadPanda

by SadPanda

Hi all,

Please note that I contacted a moderator for the ok, and received approval, prior to posting on this site. (I did not do the same at SlowTwitch. Those are the only two places I posted.)

My email is not intending to 'trash' or slag anyone. I have had previous dealings with Ted and Zero Gravity including on a business to business level. He seems like a genuinely good guy, I like his products, and think his creativity and drive are very impressive. I'm not however impressed with how this situation ended up and don't think my posting is out of line when the company is requesting/accepting deposits for products that aren't in production yet if this is what can result.

I will pursue the credit card avenue and appreciated the recommendation though I suspect getting credit for a 18+ month old transaction will be tough. (I'm not sure on this point, I didn't realize it was an option prior to it being suggested.) I also don't think the default should be to ask the credit card company to cover the problem when the issue is clearly between myself and Ciamillo Components.

To further defend myself on the statement that I didn't try everything I could I request you review the timeline of events I presented and ask how many months / emails / phone calls are required.

I wish the best for Ted and Zero Gravity in the future but obviously something is not working right at present if this situation can develop and I would feel bad if this happened to others as a result of me not coming forward.

djconnel

by djconnel

I think people need to recognize that running small manufacturing businesses is incredibly challenging. Every time there's a small-scale operator selling stuff that pushes the limits people whine and complain: every single time. AX, Lightning, Camillo, Fibre-Lyte, etc. I think you need to expect some hiccups and if you're not ready for that than confine your business to large-scale companies like SRAM, Shimano, and Campy. But in doing so recognize they are unwilling to devote the attention and invest the same level of risk in their parts.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

djconnel wrote:I think people need to recognize that running small manufacturing businesses is incredibly challenging. Every time there's a small-scale operator selling stuff that pushes the limits people whine and complain: every single time. AX, Lightning, Camillo, Fibre-Lyte, etc. I think you need to expect some hiccups and if you're not ready for that than confine your business to large-scale companies like SRAM, Shimano, and Campy. But in doing so recognize they are unwilling to devote the attention and invest the same level of risk in their parts.

We need a separate topic for this. I've supported several small companies - fibre-lyte, xx-light, lightning, I even had a pair of the first ZG brakes, AX. I've had zero issues with fiber-lyte, xx-light actually went above and beyond for me and lightning has been good, save the time they wanted me to pay $15 for washers for my pedals (I made my own). In each of those cases I received stellar customer service.

AX on the other hand, aside from being slow, were rather arrogant (especially after Nils wasn't there) and "holier than thou". The next time I need a new saddle, I'll probably have someone make one for me (I've purchased from Berk as well- he's awesome) rather than support them. The others, I'll keep going back because their service has been stellar, so I don't necessarily think it's the size of the company.

But this is getting way OT. I still love the brakes.
Speedplay is the devil!

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

mdeth1313 wrote:
djconnel wrote: I still love the brakes.

Thank you :thumbup: I have had excellent support from Ted that's why this is my 4th set of Brakes I have bought from him :beerchug:

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

djconnel wrote:I think people need to recognize that running small manufacturing businesses is incredibly challenging. Every time there's a small-scale operator selling stuff that pushes the limits people whine and complain: every single time. AX, Lightning, Camillo, Fibre-Lyte, etc. I think you need to expect some hiccups and if you're not ready for that than confine your business to large-scale companies like SRAM, Shimano, and Campy. But in doing so recognize they are unwilling to devote the attention and invest the same level of risk in their parts.

I agree with your sentiment entirely, but I wouldn't like riders to think that they get any less 'hiccups' with large scale manufacturers, I think that we just hear less about it as most large scale brand complaints go through the local bike shop, not on forums such as this. Typical examples would be no availability (in the UK at least) for replacement carbon rear derailleur plates from a well known major brand. Fortunately, we supply our own versions of those and needless to say, we've sold quite a few. Also, frames. We do quite a number of frame repairs and a percentage of those are manufacturing faults (in our opinion) where the manufacturer has denied the warranty, or they are not the first owner.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know who the UK distributor is for Ciamillo brakes? According to the Ciamillo website it's Otago cyclesport but the link doesn't seem to be working?

Bingomck

by Bingomck

Brutal.

lewolive

by lewolive

stephen@fibre-lyte wrote:

I agree with your sentiment entirely, but I wouldn't like riders to think that they get any less 'hiccups' with large scale manufacturers, I think that we just hear less about it as most large scale brand complaints go through the local bike shop, not on forums such as this. Typical examples would be no availability (in the UK at least) for replacement carbon rear derailleur plates from a well known major brand. Fortunately, we supply our own versions of those and needless to say, we've sold quite a few. Also, frames. We do quite a number of frame repairs and a percentage of those are manufacturing faults (in our opinion) where the manufacturer has denied the warranty, or they are not the first owner.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know who the UK distributor is for Ciamillo brakes? According to the Ciamillo website it's Otago cyclesport but the link doesn't seem to be working?

Hello Stephen,

I'm looking after the entire Europe through my website www.velo-perso.com
All the small parts are currently available and you even can find some parts that are specially made for the European market (black barrel adjusters, blacks backnuts...)
The entire website is currently being fully translated in English but as of today you can buy worldwide and it's very fast because the stock is updated in real time and I ship within 24h at reasonable shipping rates. Moreover, despite Quality control from the factory is currently good, I insure a 3rd level of quality control, just to make sure that the brakes are really perfect. This 2012 year I have thus reached a 0% rate of return on brand new in box brakes and I have mainly fixed old brakes and installed the new spring.
Ted and I will work this year on a new Ciamillo website where official distributors and retailers will be listed.

SadPanda

by SadPanda

SadPanda wrote:To everyone else I will post an update if I ever receive anything.

Last night I received an email from Ted and the refund that had been promised. The situation is resolved and again I wish Ted and Ciamillo all the best for the future.

/derail, everyone please return to calibrating their digital scales and debating aesthetics!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com