Glued my tubs on backwards.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I have just glued my Yksion tubulars on the wrong way round. Powerlink (harder compound, supposedly) on the front and Griplink (softer compound, supposedly) on the rear.

Does it really matter?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It will mean a little less grip on the front I suppose so steering at speed in the wet might be affected.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The rear would wear out much faster from what others have stated. I truly believe that there is a significant difference between the two.....similarly to the Continental Attack/Force.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Great... I hope the glue hasn't totally gone off tomorrow.

yakstone

by yakstone

Switch them around. Not that big of a deal and I am sure it has happened to most of us.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

The pro teams sponsored by Mavic run GripLink front and rear. So i guess it can be done.

But as ou only have those two i would also suggest just switching them around.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Pulled them off. Will reglue them tomorrow. Thanks!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Why couldnt you just turn the rim on the front around? Is it unidirectional or something?

Back, well, you have to pull it off and hopefully reglue.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Zigmeister, you have misunderstood the OP's not so clearly worded thread title, even though the post itself seems quite clear. He has mounted what should have been the front tire on the rear wheel, and what should have been the rear tire on the front wheel.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Must be that Ziggy Stardust..... :lol:

Anyhow....Do you guys feel it makes any difference at all?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I pm'd MavicZach. He said that it GripLink on the rear would wear quicker than normal and you would have less grip on the front with a PowerLink. In a tri/TT situation no biggie but best to swap them if you ride crits, which I do.

madmole

by madmole

While they are off, do yourself a favour and go buy some conti GP4000S and glue those on instead

I tolerated the mavic rubber for a week in the dry where it was comparable in grip to the conti's. Then it rained. The Mavics were death traps in the wet. eneded the ride early and stuck GP4000S on and grip back to normal levels
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

+1 2011/2012 mavic tyres were wet weather death traps. Pretty good dry weather tyres though, comparable to Michelin pro race 3 clinchers. maybe for 2013 we will see a new compound.
I've heard the pro team versions were different to commercially available tubs, and that quite a number were other brands rebadged.

Not sure i'd prefer Conti's, a bit rigid for my liking, definitely safer in the wet though!

djconnel

by djconnel

Wow -- that's sort of obvious, but I never thought about it: makes a lot of sense to use a softer compound in the front.

Reglueing tubulars is no big deal and doesn't yield a measurable increase in rolling resistance according to Al Morrison's data.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Well I've run out of time to reglue them as I'm back off to university tomorrow. I'll glue the wheels in march again, I might see if I can't get a deal on some Veloflex or something else in the meantime.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com