Tubular for Canadian spring riding (slush, dirt, sand, etc.)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm thinking of keeping my Major Tom wheels and putting some wider tubulars for spring riding.
But all I can seem to find is either Cyclocross 32-34mm tires, or bigger road (25-27mm) tires.

Is there something like "in between" ?
Big tire, stable on slush, occasional icy slush, sand over asphalt, dirt from winter accumulation.
Low rolling resistance. Not a full threaded cyclocross tire. I'm only riding on the asphalt.

Thanks,

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

Are you looking for something like a tubular version of the Michelin Jet? Maybe Vittoria XN would be fairly close.

The only question I'd have about tubulars in those conditions is the frequency of flats. I find that's the time of year I'm most susceptible to flats because little chips make their way through the casing.

Oh, and with ice, when I used to commute, I found that studs were the only safe thing then. Of course, they make any nice bike into a brick with an extra pound or so of rolling weight.

jdp211

by jdp211

What about a file tread cross tire? Might be hard to find narrower than a 30 or so

LouisN

by LouisN

Yes, in a perfect world, I'd like to find a (hard to puncture) 28-30mm Challenge Grifo XS, or the like (Vittoria XN maybe)... :( . I also checked for Michelin Jet.
Not shure a 28mm road tire like the Paris-Roubaix would hold on these conditions.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have been riding the classic herringbone tire for 20+ years in our Canadian spring weather. Never had a problem. If there is too much ice down to ride that tire, it is too dangerous to ride road anyway.

LouisN

by LouisN

23mm ?

Tire pressure ?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Challenge has a 30mm tubular that's fairly "in between". Not sure if it's any good, but would certainly like to find out :-)

LouisN

by LouisN

There are a few 30mm clincher options, but I only see 32mm for tubulars.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Vittoria Pave CG comes in 27mm - have not tried it but have heard great comments
Challenge Paris-Roubaix comes in 27mm - this is my tire for the kermesse races and has done superbly
The only other I can think so and it might be a bit tougher but not as wide is Conti Sprinter Gatorskin 25mm - the least expensive of the 3 at below $100/pair
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Ok ! I missed that one, though it was only a clincher version.

I'll be looking at this one or the Parigi Roubaix.

Thanks,

The Vittoria Pave CG 27 might be a nice option too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Louis wrote:23mm ?

Tire pressure ?

Various tires and pressures. With respect to tires, I find that any of the classic herringbone tubulars work fine. I still like the Vittoria All-Weather's (but I am running out now) in 23mm (they seem a bit wider). As for pressure, it depends on the day. I will run them down to 85/95 front/rear, if it is really messy. If you rode higher volume (25mm or 27mm) Vittoria Pave tires, you could run them lower still...