Colnago C50 frame design question....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lig

by Lig

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 'new' C50 and have noticed that the drive side chain stay 'diamond' is a different shape to the non drive side. At first i thought it was a defect, but after looking at lots of images it seems this is how it is meant to be. Its interesting as I am sure it is this way for a reason, but i cant find out why? I know that a few new frames (Dogma and Cervelos) have 'fancy' thicker drive side chain stays and maybe its just that Colnago was ahead of the times when they produced the C50. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,
Lig.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If the difference in shape is what I think you are referring to it is simply to provide a clear unobstructed path for the rear derailleur cable. It will probably become clear to you once you cable it up. If it was the same shape as the left side then the bottom edge of the "diamond" would be in the way of the derailleur cable slightly as it routed from underneath the BB to the rear cable stop on the chain stay.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lig

by Lig

Ah yes, i didn't think of that! I wonder why they didn't make the other side the same then? I thought it was something fancy and Colnago could have claimed the drive side stay was stiffer... :lol:

Yep makes perfect sense....

Cheers Calnago.