For the SRM Gurus.. offset change with new crank arm install

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I changed from my SiSL Hollowgram arms to the new SISL2 arms.. I contacted SRM and they told me it would not effect anything and I just needed to make sure the lockring was locktited and tqd to spec which it is.... Ive had my SRM back from servicing since September, and the zero offset was pretty consistent in the 430-450 range.. now that the new arm is installed I am getting a value of 533.... is this anything to be concerned about? Is my calibration out of whack so to say? Or is there nothing to be concerend about?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

Are you sure you didn't over torque the lock ring/chainring bolts?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Chainrings were never removed.. and the lockring was installed using a calibrated trq wrench we use in aircraft mntenace... turned til it clicked and that was it... I noticed in an email SRM told me to check the offset regularly... so maybe this is expected? Doesn't the unit just subtract the offset off some value and if it didnt get excessively high it was no concern? I emailed SRM, ut the office is closed til the 2nd...

devinci

by devinci

if the new value remains consistant, then I see no problems. You could calibrate it on your own to make sure the slope is accurate, take 10min with bike in the trainer...

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Good idea.. I will plan that on my computrainer this aft in erg mode..

I recalibrated ths AM and its gone from 533 to 515.. not a significant change in my opinion... I guess its just settling in after its been tqd down on the bike...

devinci

by devinci

you will need a know weight of 15-30kg

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I just jumped on the computrainer in erg mode varying from 135-400 watts... I did a new manual zero offset, and its now showing my old 430 value.... strange... maybe I just needed to ride it and get some pressure on things to reseat after the new crank install??? Anyone have thoughts on that one??

devinci

by devinci

was the 500+ offset obtained at the same temperature you obtained the 430 offset value? Temp is the main factor for varying zero offset. I'd ride the cranks for a week or two and test the offset at a given temperature, for example, always test your offset with the bike in the same room in your house with the same condition (bike in trainer). My SRM offset is always the same in my basement with the bike in the trainer, after riding the bike for 15min with 2 fans blowing at the bike, the offset changes 3-5 units.

I'd still consider a manual calibration with a known weight.

Otherwise, PAGING GEOFF!!!

Geoff

by Geoff

Heard ya.

The offset is not the same as calibration and will often change whenever you make major changes to your PowerMeter requiring a re-calibration. Generally speaking, the PowerMeter will need to be re-calibrated whenever you modify any interface between the PowerMeter chassis and any of the other crank components. This would include replacing the battery or changing the crankarms.

The interface between the PowerController chassis and the crankarms is particularly robust on the Si version. Because of that, it is the most accurate of all the PowerMeters. Notwithstanding that, if you change the crank arms, remove and replace the crank arms, or re-torque the crankarms, you should re-calibrate the PowerMeter. Fortunately, you can re-calibrate it yourself.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Hi Geoff,
My SRM was pretty consistent from September onward in the 43-460 are temperature pending.. at that time of year in Winnipeg we've entered the "anything goes" time of year... I was recently in Maui for 3.5 weeks and was consistently getting 425-435 values every morning... the house temp is around 68 or so where I was doing the offset.. I just installed and did an offset and got the 500+ value... after actually riding the Computrainer now, I guess things have meshed so to say and its back to the normal 430ish value I was always getting before.. I guess thing just needed to seat in... that computrainer watts and SRM watts were close enough that I can see everything is OK...

I have never done the calibration test.. is this what you are referring to??

1. Look for a weight of about 30 to 40 kg. Hang it on a cable of about 25 cm, so that the weight does not touch the floor when it is hanging on the horizontal crank pedal, or take a longer cable and put the bike on a table.

2. Calculate the weight in Newton. E.g. 30 kg = 30 * 9.81 = 294.3 N 3.

3. Calculate the torque you get when the weight hangs on the horizontal pedal crank.
E.g. at 172.5 mm cranks : 0.1725m * 294.3 N = 50.77 Nm (Newton meter).

4. Switch the Powermeter on by pedalling backwards. Do this with a middle gear so that the chain is in a line, e.g. 53/15.

5. Notice zero of Powermeter (MODE + SET, right number)
e.g. F0=500 Hz.

6. Bring crank in horizontal position and hang the weight on the left pedal.

7. Notice frequency output-left of Powermeter (MODE + SET, right number)
e.g. Fleft=1450 Hz.

8. Bring crank in horizontal position and hang the weight on the right pedal.

9. Notice frequency output-right of Powermeter (MODE + SET, right number)
e.g. Fright=1550 Hz.

10. Calculate frequency change of Powermeter with this weight as (Fleft+Fright)/2 -Fo
e.g. (1450+1550)/2 Hz - 500 Hz = 1000 Hz at a torque of 50.77 Nm.

11. Calculate average slope of Powermeter.
Slope = 1000 Hz/50.77 Nm = 19.90 H z/Nm.

12. This slope is the calibration of Powermeter and must be set in Powercontrol.
We recommend to check the slope monthly.

devinci

by devinci

Yup thats the calibration.

Its handy and I'd do it at peast once a year. I sent my srm to colorado for service in october 2011 and calibrated it 2 weeks ago. The srm factory slope was 1,35% off of what I got using a known weight.

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Wait, what? I have an SI SL SRM. Do you mean you should recallibrate after every time you disassembled the crank from the spindle or just when you remove the srm spider from the crank arm and retorque the lockring?

Guess I should recalibrate the slope soon then..
What are you guys using as a known weight? I can imagine that a weight lifting weight marked as 20kg is not precisely 20 kg.
How do you attach it to your crank arm? A rope or something?

devinci

by devinci

you can use a weight lifting plate with a rope, but you need to factor in the weight of the rope and know the exact weight of the plate. I use a 20kg kettlebell that weights 20.00kg, it already has a handle so its pretty easy to attach to the pedal!

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I have a spreadsheet that SRM sent me for calibrating at home. Makes it easy.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

Geoff

by Geoff

@roselend, you do not need to re-calibrate the PowerMeter when you switch the crank, only when you dismount the crankarms or replace the battery. That said, the slope does tend to 'drift' over time and re-calibrating keeps it accurate.

The weight I use is an Ivanko 'calibrated' weight, which is supposed to be accurate to 10g. You can get scientific weights, too, but that is pretty close. You can hang it off an old spindle directly or with a rope, etc.

The reason that your calibration will differ from the factory calibration is that the factory uses a more accurate eddy current brake instead of a weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com