The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
lechat

by lechat

Often overlooked is serviceability of hubs. Bearings are a wear item and high quality ones are fairly cheap. Superior designs like Novatec allow for fast, painless overhauling, with your choice of bearing options. Also, the freehubs can be quickly replaced for around $50 each. For some reason most "boutique" hubs are designed to stymie the home mechanic. With complexity for complexities sake designs requiring proprietary tools and bearings. Guess they assume if your buying a $1k + hubset, you can afford to have a "wrench" service them. At 290gms/set the NT SLs are competitive weightwise. The other Taiwanese mfr.s such as Moyon and Bitex need to revamp their bracing angles. The wheel building world can't have enough well built, easily serviced, light $150 hubsets :D .

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I agree with the above too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

Thanks - i think i will go with Novatec hubs in future

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Have anybody build zipp 404 rims on tune mig70 mag170 ?
I would love to see pics, and know spoke lenghts?

OJ

by OJ

After killing my last clincher wheelset (my wife's Aksiums :? ) I need a new wheelset for training/overall use. I have a white 32 h Novatec rear hub that I was planning to use and get a BHS 24h front. Strongest rim candidate is BHS C472w.

The rear wheel should be super strong/stiff with 32 spokes, but I'm still on the fence between this and BHS 28 h rear hub. This is partially due to my existing hub being white and I really don't like white parts. Aero/weight wise it probably doesn't matter much either way, but black hub looks nicer while the extra 4 spokes should add to the stiffness and strength.

If I end up getting a new hub, I might just get a shallow(er) rim for the 32h hub and pair that with surviving Aksium front wheel.

Edit: think I'll just go with 28h rear.
Last edited by OJ on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kavitator

by kavitator

Shimano 105 rear hub - but it is heavy

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Looking for a new set off hoops
I have 32 hole Record hubs with Reflex

Looking to stay tubular on the Records
Obviously leaning to Nemisis, but what other options can people offer me that I may not have thought of?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@notsoswift-

There are a few options you could go with. The Kinlin TB25 may be a good first option. They are quite rigid, and they haven't had any of the brake track issues that other Kinlins did in the past. If you wanted to go with something made in the US, you could go a Velocity Major Tom. That would be a bit wider than the Kinlin which may help to enhance ride quality a bit.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Zen, what's your experience with road tires on the Major Tom? I know they get rave reviews with cx tires, but have read a number of posts on different boards about the radius being a bit shallow to get a good glue bond with narrower road tubulars.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@teleguy- I don't believe we have any customer running narrower tubys on those hoops. Are you thinking about going 22c?

DividedVolta

by DividedVolta

Alright, I'm trying to make my final decisions before buying all the parts for my wheel set. Goals are a light weight clincher wheel set built with climbing in mind. Original suggestions pointed me toward the Kinlin XR-200's, but thinking about a slight aero/stiffness advantage has me thinking of the XR-270's, so I wanted to ask about them. Please critique my builds below. As background, I weight right around 70kg/155lb consistently and enjoy climbing (hill sprints even more so).

Option 1:

XR-200s (28front/28rear, both laced 2x) - Novatec A291SB front hub with F482SB rear - Laser front spokes with Laser rear NDS and Race DS (I am considering making the entire rear CX-Ray) - Sapim Aluminum nipples. Going off weight listings and counting on discrepancy I figure the set should weight up around 1330g-1350g. Which I think is quite nice. Weight could come off if I get the lightweight versions of the hubs, but at this weight I'm already quite happy.

Option 2:

XR-270's (24front/28rear, both laced 2x) - Novatec A291SB-SL front hub with F482 SB-SL rear (the lighter versions just to keep weight down a bit and make myself happy, however insignificant these savings are) - Laser front spokes with Laser rear NDS and Race DS (I'm hoping the additional depth of this rim offsets the slightly flexy nature of the XR-200's) - Sapim Aluminum nipples. I'm figuring this should weigh in somewhere around the 1450-1480g mark.

My thought with the XR-270 is that the additional depth allows for less spokes up front and less flex overall, at a weight penalty. My final question revolves around spoke length (which bm0 has answered via PM, but I want to double check before I order!); specifically how to calculate it. I'm trying to use the DT Swiss calc, but can't seem to find all the necessary info (like ERD/diameter for the rear hub), and I simply don't know enough to be sure I'm right.

Given that I live in a rolling/hilly area and do a variety of road races and crits, which of these two builds would you all recommend (or another altogether if you have an idea). Thanks for the help!

Mackers

by Mackers

Front 285mm, Rear NDS 281mm, DS 277mm.

This is for the XR-270 option.

Should end up a tad under 1500 gr.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Zen Cyclery wrote:@notsoswift-

There are a few options you could go with. The Kinlin TB25 may be a good first option. They are quite rigid, and they haven't had any of the brake track issues that other Kinlins did in the past. If you wanted to go with something made in the US, you could go a Velocity Major Tom. That would be a bit wider than the Kinlin which may help to enhance ride quality a bit.

Thanks Zen, I had thought of Velocity (as an Aussie!) but not really happy with the weight for the strength... Didn't think of Major Toms, only V2 aero profile which are really heavy and Escape which is a bit weak (considering weight) better with Reflex for that or little heavier for Nemesis
Will investigate Kinlin further

I will run Veloflex Extremes, so would be interested in anyone who has run Major Toms with them (or the HED wide rim)

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Oh and one more (stupid) question
Does any one know if you can get Brass nipples in, well, brass?

I have only seen silver and black, lot of Alu colours, but not brass, since these are all weather wheels I think it would be better so no corrosion issues

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Have you considered Crono F20's?