pc7 like mount for Garmin 500?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

grymg wrote:On sale for $20. . . might bite on this one.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... ailspecial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you like the higher position of the head unit that is a true bargain.
2011 Track Masters World Champion
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized Tarmac SL5 Di2
Specialized epic comp

andylav

by andylav

Any New Year's sales offers on the cards for your version Martin ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

andylav wrote:Any New Year's sales offers on the cards for your version Martin ?

I would love to do some type of sale but not sure what yet. Will do something for January but might be to launch the new neon range i think.
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

mieke@quarq
in the industry

by mieke@quarq

grymg wrote:On sale for $20. . . might bite on this one.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... ailspecial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We now have the SRAM computer mounts for sale at Quarq: http://www.sram.com/news/sram-quickview-computer-mount

Call or email us if you're interested in ordering one. They are $20 plus shipping.

Mieke
Quarq Technology

drmutley

by drmutley

mieke@quarq wrote:
We now have the SRAM computer mounts for sale at Quarq: http://www.sram.com/news/sram-quickview-computer-mount

Call or email us if you're interested in ordering one. They are $20 plus shipping.

Mieke
Quarq Technology

How much is international shipping?
Ie to Australia?

LVGH

by LVGH

None of these available mounts looks really appealing to me. In fact the lack of a good aftermarket mount is keeping me from buying a Garmin. I don't want a fridge on my stem. But the other mounts that are mass-produced all lack in at least one area on my checklist:

1. symmetry: device should be right in the middle
2. symmetry: around the stem (no one-arm mounts)
3. clean lines: device should not protrude to great extent above the stem when looking from the side
4. should take up as little space on the bar as possible, so definitely no space allowed between stem and computer mount (as in Sram pic)
5. cheap (40€ is a blatant ripoff, are you listening K-edge?)

And I haven't even got to the point of function and weight. :?

Miller

by Miller

LVGH wrote:None of these available mounts looks really appealing to me.

It's just a computer mount... you're making this too complicated.

Here's what the Raceware one looks like on my bike. The mount is mostly not visible with the Garmin in place.

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

http://www.shapeways.com/model/731447/ogee-spock-garmin-mount-for-handlebar.html?li=productBox-search

I think this one looks interesting and only swinley fails on point 5? Not tried it personally but might one day.

LVGH

by LVGH

Miller wrote:
LVGH wrote:None of these available mounts looks really appealing to me.

It's just a computer mount... you're making this too complicated.

I get your point, however a mount that suits my needs is by no means difficult to manufacture. It's just that most companies seem to make choices I don't like all that much :wink:

There's a few brilliantly elegant homemade solutions in this topic, e.g. this, this and another one.

How hard can it be to make an affordable mount (say max $20) along these lines? Well I guess I'll just be a bit more patient.

RaceWareDirect
in the industry

by RaceWareDirect

Stuartclark1977 wrote:http://www.shapeways.com/model/731447/ogee-spock-garmin-mount-for-handlebar.html?li=productBox-search

I think this one looks interesting and only swinley fails on point 5? Not tried it personally but might one day.

I am glad you think our mount looks interesting. Slightly confused about point 5. Happy to pay $300+ on a mass produced garmin computer but you think £25 is expensive for a custom uk made mount?
Cervelo T3
Colnago CX-1
S works shiv
Specialized epic comp

LVGH

by LVGH

RaceWareDirect wrote:I am glad you think our mount looks interesting. Slightly confused about point 5. Happy to pay $300+ on a mass produced garmin computer but you think £25 is expensive for a custom uk made mount?

I reckon it is. Especially when you need 4. For one I don't care where it's made or whether it's custommade. Not even happy to pay 300€ for a Garmin, it's actually really expensive for what you get, which is basically a GPS chip in a bulky package that you can't even make a phonecall with if you're left at the side of the road. :mrgreen:

1415chris

by 1415chris

I don't get your point at all.
Something is too expensive, you can't afford it, just forget it.
Go for something more affordable for your budget.

LVGH

by LVGH

It's about value for money, nothing else. Of course opinions may vary. Fair enough, I'll leave it at that.

Rippin

by Rippin

Once the Garmin 500 is attached to the RWD mount, the mount itself is pretty much unnoticeable. Personally it's the best low-profile mount option so far. It doesn't have the smooth injection moulded finish like some others, but I'll take function over form for this piece. But I agree, that up until now, the prices for all of the mounts have been too expensive. SRAM and Barfly have brought down the price to a more reasonable $20.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

http://www.shapeways.com/model/731447/o ... Box-search

RWD - do you make this one as well? I'm a bit confused by your response.

FYI I think your price is fine I'm just happy with my stem mount at the moment as it also holds the di2 junction box in place. If I integrate the di2 box one day then I'll probably get a forward mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com