Bars and stem. What are you using on your 29er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I need to sort out some bars and stem for my new 29er build. My old F99 stem and Easton EC90 SL shallow rise bars will most likely go on my 26" mtb.

I am thinking about going with the UNO super light stem in 90mm and change out the bolts to Ti which should have the stem under 100g but then have to wort out some bars. Was thinking about going with the Easton EC90 riser in 31.8mm which I believe are about 135g.

The older stem and bars are lighter but I wanted to go with something wider than 610mm.

would like to get your thoughts.

Also does anyone know if you can put remove the lettering from the UNO stems easily?
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

devinci

by devinci

no idea about the UNO stem graphic

I am using a MT zoom XL flat bar that comes in at 185g for 740mm wide, I cut it to 680mm. I used a KCNC sc wing 100mm stem and just changed it for a KCNC -17deg arrow stem.

I have a 660mm ENVE bar for sale and a brand new Race face turbine stem, if you are interested drop me a PM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

http://spicercycles.com/product/ritchey ... 9-qc37.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 80mm version I have weighed 98 without changing the bolts so 105 for a 90 is totally realistic before you change the bolts and the price is right. The gloss look is super nice also.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/rdohandlebar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stiff, light, good looking, 5 year warranty, and the price is not that bad either.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I use an Extralite ul3 100mm non OS clamp and a AX poseidon handlebar at 620mm width. I'm fine with the width, but I sometimes wish for something stiffer.

I reckon the uno is great for mild riding, but I'm unsure of the long term strength when it comes to rougher riding.
A riserbar on a 29"? Lucky b*****rd :roll: :mrgreen:

BmanX

by BmanX

The only reason I am using a riser bar is because that is what I currently have. My back is also screwed a bit with arthritis so on good days the riser bar will be to high but on bad days it will be very nice.

I was thinking a nice wide flat bar which might be the case and on bad days I could flip the stem and get a bit higher. Will have to do the same thing on my road bikes.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

the Niner bar has offset rise so you can tweek it to your perfect fit.

slim83

by slim83

I have been using a Salsa promoto 1 carbon bar. I got mine from QBP with the updated graphics and they measure 660mm wide and come in at an even 150g. You can get them in different sweeps as well. QBP also has the Whiskey bars that are claimed to be 138g for 660mm.
Last edited by slim83 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I just saw someone is selling a schmolke TLO bar 680mm wide, in the FOR SALE forum.

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

I use 640mm 3T Ltd flat bars (138g) and 3T Arx 100mm -17 degree stem (124g)

Went from 80mm to 100mm stem and in retrospect I prefer a shorter stem. frame is XL scott scale.

Screw the old trend of 560mm bars for XC - easy to go long and light these days :wink:
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

split

by split

Asymptotic wrote:Screw the old trend of 560mm bars for XC - easy to go long and light these days :wink:

But the trees!!!
S P L I T: 2010 Meivici: 14.4 lbs | 2003 Odile: 19 lbs | Hunter Cycles Cyclocross: 17 lbs | 2013 Dundee Cycles Jewell 29er: 17 lbs

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Getting around trees with long bars is a skills issue.

mjduct

by mjduct

if you hit the trees hard enough the first time or two down the trail they tend to duck you after that!

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

^ Agreed, winding through trees with longer bars take some more skill.

Bar ends are another matter - nasty evil things that are magnets for foliage and bib shorts in crashes :?
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Dennis

by Dennis

I just mounted the uno stem with removed graphics (aceton) and a easton ec70 handlebar of 675mm width. Haven't used it yet, because I am waiting for the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

@ Dennis. This is the stem/bar combo I was thinking about for the build. I would like to see weights and pictures when you have a moment.
BIG DADDY B FLOW