2013 Giant TCR SL frame/fork weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ryan94

by Ryan94

I just took a size medium 105 bike off the floor and stripped it down. The FD and RD hangers were left on as well as all water bottle cage bolts. I left the BB in the frame so I took a new shimano pf BB and tared the weight for the scale, it was 80g.

Frame: Weight was 1120g. The advertised weight was 1050g.
The ultegra bike has a lighter frame due to the fact that it is brushed alloy vs painted, but I only had the M/L size available to weight for that model and Giant used a Medium for their test.

Fork: Weight with the factory steer tube length for the bike weighed 400g but that was with the compression plug still in the steertube. 388g is advertized without the compression plug.

To compare the Caad 10 in a sz 54 is 1250g. I have ridden both models and The Giant is a clear winner for performance and comfort.

Sorry for the messy pics. The stand I used is in an overflow room that is usually only used for misc storage.

austke

by austke

:up: :beerchug:
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lechat

by lechat

Nice weight. About the same as my Caad7.

spytech

by spytech

Is it a full carbon fork?

Ryan94

by Ryan94

The fork has carbon legs and steertube. It has an alloy bearing race bonded to the fork.

All the weights are right in line with what was advertised. Im assuming 12g. for the compression plug. I would also think the paint weight would account for most of the weight difference considering that Giant would have weighed for the raw colored alloy frame of the ultegra bike.

I have been told this will be a frame only option soon.....

spytech

by spytech

I was considering a Caad10, but the TCR M/L fits me better than a 56 in cannondale. only thing i dont like is no seatpost option and the stock is heavy? other than that we have a winner.

any idea on when the frameset option will be available? is it confirmed or just a rumor down the grapevine?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

@spytech, have you checked out the Allez Race frameset? Just saw one in my LBS and it looks the dogs. Almost ordered one on the spot.

Ryan94

by Ryan94

Its 50/50. Nothing official, but there have been hints.

spytech wrote:I was considering a Caad10, but the TCR M/L fits me better than a 56 in cannondale. only thing i dont like is no seatpost option and the stock is heavy? other than that we have a winner.

any idea on when the frameset option will be available? is it confirmed or just a rumor down the grapevine?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Have just altered the title, as it seems this model goes by different names depending on the country...

spytech

by spytech

btompkins0112 wrote:@spytech, have you checked out the Allez Race frameset? Just saw one in my LBS and it looks the dogs. Almost ordered one on the spot.

I was interested in it at first, i also like the geometry - i would still like to have the giant. i like the color on the bare silver/anodized?

Ryan94

by Ryan94

You need to change it back because you are wrong. This Model TCR SL is not the same as the defy or the standard tcr alloy (allux) The construction and material are different.

Tinea Pedis wrote:Have just altered the title, as it seems this model goes by different names depending on the country...

lechat

by lechat

The aluminum Defy offered in Oz is a different frame. Headtube alone is 1.5cms longer in a m/l. Doesn't look like this frame is offered there. Ya'll should piece together a flotilla. Head towards Taiwan.

digiadaamore

by digiadaamore

Shimano pf bb. Does that mean these arnt bb30? they are bb86?

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

The frame is BB86. I'm looking through my weight lists, but I remember the compression plug for 1.125 giant forks being over 20g. I'd be surprised to see this sold as a frameset anytime soon. If they did, it would be nice to see a 27.2 post. Would make for a lighter build and assumedly lower manufacturing costs.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That is very weird.

Given how huge Giant are down here.