Kalloy UNO lwt stems

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

up till now, I have associated Kalloy with run of the mill low end seat posts, cheap but heavy but it seems they have branched out into stems, light ones too, best of all, light on the pocket. :mrgreen:

if the weights are to be belived, we have:

Uno 7 109g £ 21
Uno 9 110g £ 21
Ultalight 116g £ 19
Uno 6 127 g £ 18

which does seem mind blowingly good value for buying some lighntess, I suspect being so new, nobody has tried on yet?

for example

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xc71

by xc71

Got this one for my Daughter's Scott Contessa 24 jr.
OS, 70mm, 93.5 grams, $27.00 CAD & free shipping.
Replaced the steel bolts with 6 Ti bolts, 83.8 grams, $15.00 from from torontocycles.com
Great weight for the money.
Attachments
IMG_2492_1.JPG
IMG_2493_1.JPG

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Kalloy / Hsin Lung makes stems for lots of different brands. Their UNO-branded stuff doesn't have the cachet of the more popular companies, but the UNO stuff works well, doesn't weigh a ton, and is very inexpensive.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Velofreak

by Velofreak

I just replaced my syntace F109 by a UNO stem, hich was nearly 20g lighter... My days with syntace are gone for good.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Well you might have saved 20 grams, but I never had anything from Syntace that I didn't really like. I am not trying to pick a fight and I might really like the Kalloy Uno if I had one, but everything from Syntace is generally very good. That said, if the Kalloy stuff is as good as or even 90% as good as Syntace for a lot lower price, I would definitely be a customer.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Drappo

by Drappo

There is a - 17° version?
Alhoa

artray

by artray

No -17 . When you a start going to 120/130 the weight is just ok . It's only the short stems that are really light .

Dennis

by Dennis

My 100mm was 97 gram, with steel bolts, so 120mm should be around 110gr? So about 105gr with ti bolts. That is still light for the money for me? It was the Uno9 btw. Haven ridden it yet.

Elrey

by Elrey

Can somebody tell me why other brands are that expenzivo compared to Uno. Do you pay THAT much for a brand?

leugene

by leugene

Procraft sells same stems for 3 times more bucks with their own logo, but they have 17° version!

AndrewL

by AndrewL

I've been using a 60mm Grade 2.0 stem on my 29er for two months and like it very much. It was 90 grams or so (don't remember exactly) with the original steel bolts and I removed the logos with paint stripper. Kalloy doesn't recommend the Grade 1.0 stems for MTB use, only road.
Andrew "Jersey" L

limba

by limba

Hmmm, well as long as they don't break. Keep us updated.

Velofreak

by Velofreak

Logos on these UNO stems are easily removed with acetone.

02GF74

by 02GF74

Velofreak wrote:Logos on these UNO stems are easily removed with acetone.

great news - I was wondering about how to do that - the 110 mm stem I received weighs 115 g (is identical to the one in the photo) but has too much logo.

... but it has "for road use" printed on the stem despite being advertised as mtb hmmm..... :noidea: .... since I don't do big jumps and have suspension forks, I don't think that is an issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Velofreak

by Velofreak

thanks to Prefendreu, he gave me the tip when i asked him after seen his stem. It works in black anodized ones. the white ones may have the lacker layer on top of the logos, maybe. i haven't checked it but, it maybe not possible to remove the logos with acetone in the white ones. please check it and let us know.