Cracked flange on DT Swiss 240S hub?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Anders

by Anders

I just puchased a used pair of 20/24 DT Swiss 240S hubs from a guy on the German Tour forum. Milage is unknown. Bearings and freehub spins like new but it is clear to see that they have been build. On closer inspection of the front hub I have noticed some lines starting from the spoke holes. They all go in the same direction and are only visible on the inside surface of the flanges. On one flange they are present at 8 of 10 holes but on the other one it's only 2 of 10. They vary in lenght and at some holes there are more than one line. Have any of you see something like this before? It look very much steactual as they all go in the same direction, so my thoughts are to return them. I just never heard of this happening on a DT Swiss 240S hub, but only on the old machined DT Hügi 240. For information the hub has been laced radial. Here are a few pictures.

Geoff

by Geoff

That's so funny. I was just putting some new tires on a set of wheels with DT 240's on them and noticed the same thing...only these cracks go all the way across the flange. I can see daylight through 'em. I was just logging-in to see if you guys have had luck with DT returning 240's to DT. I have heard that they replace them if the flanges fail...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

The flange of the 240 can break if you use radial patern on a non radial front-hub. The earlier 240's came in two flavors, radial and non-radial.

I know because it happened to both me and my brother. A misunderstanding between the LBS and DT. He had ordered Radial hubs, they sent him the regular and he thought they were for Radial (They were new, so he hadn't seen them before). DT replaced them of course. Since then no issues in 8 years.

Anders

by Anders

Franklin wrote:The flange of the 240 can break if you use radial patern on a non radial front-hub. The earlier 240's came in two flavors, radial and non-radial.

Yes I have seen that and that was also my first thought. But wouldn't a 20H hub always be laced radial and therefore DT only offer this is a radial version?

Franklin

by Franklin

Anders wrote:
Franklin wrote:The flange of the 240 can break if you use radial patern on a non radial front-hub. The earlier 240's came in two flavors, radial and non-radial.

Yes I have seen that and that was also my first thought. But wouldn't a 20H hub always be laced radial and therefore DT only offer this is a radial version?

Indeed, that would make sense. Does it still have the sticker in the middle? Mine says "radial".

Then the other option could be overtightened spokes?