elevated heart rate after flu

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

taina

by taina

On the road and on rollers, most of the time I don't exert myself much and my heart rate stays below 135 bpm. A couple weeks ago I thought I'd recovered from flu enough to get on the rollers. A very moderate workout got my heart rate up to 224 bpm, a big surprise when I looked at the readout. More recently, I'm back in my usual normal range.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

... Must have been an issue with the heart rate strap. Or maybe something caused by medication. Unless your were very exhausted or felt your heart was going to explode, I highly doubt you reached that much at a controled, moderate intensity

taina

by taina

No medication, wasn't exhausted, didn't feel like my heart was exploding. Malfunctioning monitor makes sense, and is reassuring.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Depending on how long ago you had the flu/viral URI you may be a little dehydrated. This can raise your HR slightly but not too much. I also think it was the equipment as stated above.

drchull

by drchull

This is a HR monitor issue. I have had issues with my Garmin occasionally doubling my HR. Doesn't usually last long.

Younger people sometimes will have a max HR above 200 but that is high end. There are a few arrhythmias that can get you up that high but you would not feel well and certainly not be continuing to pedal comfortably especially if you are usually in the 135 range when exercising. At a certain rate the heart just can't fill well and so despite rate pumps little blood.

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Most likely just a glitch in your HRM. But, it is important to ease back in after you were sick. I've felt fine for 2-3 days after a flu and when I started exercising again, BOOM! Sick again.

I usually try to keep the efforts at Z2 for 1hr in the week after the Flu - at least until I feel like myself on the bike again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikefromcanmore

by mikefromcanmore

Get an ithlete. Curiosity solved.

MikefromCanmore