Tubular Glue letting loose

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cif

by Cif

Hi, after doing some wet trails this morning I noticed a strange wobble in my rear wheel.
When looking at it back home, the tubular glue had let loose and I could take the tire off without pulling hard.

Since this is my first tubular wheel set I have no experience how it should behave. So is it normal that tubular glue can let loose after approx 500 miles? (Last 300 of them where in wet condition. Nice weather in the Netherlands this time of year ;) )
Front wheel is still perfectly glued to the wheel.

Rims: Planet X Carbon Tubulars
Tires: Schwalbe racing Ralph
Glue: Continental Tubular Carbin Cement

Or could it be that I didn't use enough glue on the rear wheel?
Any suggestions?
Cannondale Bad Boy 4 (2012) Original weight minus 1541 Gram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cif

by Cif

ow by the way. I glued the wheel the way the manual on the continental glue said.

1. glue on wheel
2. glue on tire
3. wait 24 hours
4. glue on wheel
5. mount tire
6. wait 24 hours before use

Geoff

by Geoff

Yikes. That's not good. Obviously, a properly glued tubular should not be easy to remove by hand. In fact, lots of people complain about how hard they are to remove from the wheel. We have a bit of a thread going on how to do this properly in the 'Road' section. Personally, I would glue them up the same as a 'cross wheel...

monty dog

by monty dog

Mods will probably move this to the CX forum. Road rim profiles do not accept the fatter carcass of a CX tubular well - they're literally touch at the edges only. Suggest you try the 'Belgian method' of glueing tubulars.
Just ride

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Also, unless Conti for Carbon glue has modified their instructions, it's more like a layer on each, wait 12 hours, then one more layer on the TIRE (they specifically say do not apply more glue to the rim), then mount. all that said, I feel the conti glue lets go to abruptly.

Cif

by Cif

Sorry, manual does say that you should glue the rim before mounting the tire. And thats what I did.

Mounted the tire again this evening the same way. Will see if it will be the same.

cerro

by cerro

Cif wrote:ow by the way. I glued the wheel the way the manual on the continental glue said.

1. glue on wheel
2. glue on tire
3. wait 24 hours
4. glue on wheel
5. mount tire
6. wait 24 hours before use

I would not glue a CXtire or mtbtire like the manual made for road tire say. Would put an extra layer of glue on both tire and rim first. And maybe just the half of waiting time between layers. Put on the last on rim and then put the tire on after around 10min. Pump it up and ride next day.

That has worked for everything I've ridden. Mavic Reflex, Ambrosio Crono F20, DRC Tubolite, FRM XMD309 Tubular and a asian (Norwegian branded) Carbomania wheels.

Seems strange that it's getting loose. Enough glue between so it just isn't to much space for the tire to move?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cif

by Cif

Well did about 200 miles since reglueing the tyre.
Its still nicely fixed to the rim.

Will definetly try to put 2 or 3 layers on rim before fixing next time

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2