BMX Weight Weenie

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kali

by kali

OK thanks

I'm not that good to build the wheelset, maybe the Answer Alumilite mini at 1080g will do the job

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Keep an eye on weight limits. Some mini parts are only suitable for riders up to 70 pounds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kali

by kali

those wheels have a rider weight limit of 100 lbs
1088 grams according to J&R weights

anodoze

by anodoze

I brought a 7.5 pound micro to the Grands this year, anybody have a chance to look at it? Feedback?

jipster43

by jipster43

Here's a Supercross S7 Scandium frame/Pro LT Fork. 16lbs of PRO XL. I'm a little small for the frame, so I can get away with a very short stem. I'm also light enough to run 1.5" tires which saves a lot of weight where it's the most critical. The pivotal seat/post combo is much lighter than a Thompson/seat combo and is all you need when you're racing. Other than that there really is nothing too exotic on here. Alienation Insurgent rear rim/Deviant front rim with Chris King hubs and ti spokes. Shimano SLX cranks with Chris King bottom bracket. Nothing crazy... except the repop Champion decals that the 12-year-old in me likes.

My next project is going to be a steel frame, and I'm hoping to get it close to the 16lb mark using alloy bars - I figure I'm old enough (cowardly) and light enough to get away with them.

JP :)

bmxdad

by bmxdad

I was kinda suprised to find that not only is there not a discussion group for BMX weight weenies, but that this thread is fairly short and not touched very often.
Am I missing something? I kinda dug through the discussion groups a little bit, but this was the only thread I found that had much content.
I was sorta expecting not only a BMX group, but subgroups for Micro, Mini, Junior, Expert, and Pro sizes.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

There doesn't seem to be much interest. There are a few guys out there who do some amazing custom work for their own kids, but not much commercially available weight weenie stuff. I guess the market isn't that big.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think it's because the racing side of bmx seems to be declining while the street side seems to be growing.

Having said that both of my kids ride semi-ww bmx bikes. My 4 year old has a Morpheus carbon micro-mini and my 9 year old has a Morpheus carbon junior. Nothing totally crazy about them, with both being in the 10 pound range. However I am currently working on a bmx project that I'd consider crazy. I won't be able to show it for several months, but I do think I'll post some updates as it goes along. Some of the prototype pieces we've had made will produce at least a few new ww oriented bmx parts for the commercial market, unfortunately they will be in a price range that fits them in with high end road bikes better than high end bmx.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'd just be happy to see some of the stuff hit the market. There are some companies (such as ORP) that make some really great WW stuff for BMX, but it's virtually impossible to purchase...

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

deleted
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

deleted
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I've been doing a lot of research and am considering building a custom carbon-fiber BMX frame. I'm looking at a tube-to-tube construction using pre-formed tubing and then overwrapping the joints with carbon/kevlar cloth and epoxy. The challenges I foresee are dropouts and brake bosses... and my own ineptitude.

Where is Berk when I need him?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

My understanding is that doing a custom carbon bmx frame has to be one of the hardest since you can't buy manufactured rear end like you can for other carbon bikes. (at least not that we're aware of.) Having said that, our custom carbon frame is already being built by Nick Crumpton, and is taking more time than any of us had estimated simply because it's a bmx bike. Everything except the bar, stem and frame are done and those missing pieces should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks so we can finish the project.

961 gram wheelset that should still loose a few more grams.

More pics and info here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... mx-part-2/

Rush

by Rush

Baum made a BMW bike : See link

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

NICE!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com