Colnago C59 ADAR

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Eek, I've done the unthinkable and paid the deposit on my new frame :-)
52cm, traditional geometry in the ADAR paint scheme. A big thankyou to Mike Perry
of Maestro for sorting me out! Just have to wait for the Italians to pull their fingers
out now. It'll be some months before it arrives but that allows time for discussion on
speccing it. I'm going to transfer the Super Record parts from my C50 and I already
have a pair of deda Newton deeps to put on it. Other than that, feel free to wade in
with your own suggestions!
Also, a couple of photos I took of someone else's whilst I was there when I get to my
computer.

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

tabmaster

by tabmaster

The two photos I took at Maestro.

If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

idler

by idler

That looks pretty special.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted quote. PP

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Nice paint, I like it! :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Fabulous looking 'lugs'.

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Love it! These traditional paint schemes are the best.

PSM

by PSM

If it wasn't a Colnago... But it is ! :thumbup:

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Hello all, & a very merry Christmas to you!

After much deliberation, I have made a provisional list of components to hang on the frame when it arrives.

Shifters: 2013 Super Record
Rear Mech: 2013 Super Record
Front Mech: 2013 Chorus
Chainset: 2010 Super Record (from my C50)
Chain: Record 11v
Brake Callipers: 2013 Super Record.
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio (black)
Bars: Deda Newton deep 44cm
Stem: Deda Zero 100 12cm
Bar tape: Prologo double touch (white)
Wheels: 2006 Campag Bora G3 (also from my C50)
Tubs: Vittoria Corsa CX
Pedals: Time RXS carbon
Bottle Cages: Elite Mio Sior

Please, please, please critique this build list!
Ooh, and I want to put one of those 'out ahead' garmin mounts on it as well. Would anyone like to comment as to which is the best one?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

c50jim

by c50jim

The build list all looks good except that you're mixing new Super Record parts with the red accents with older ones and Chorus parts that are plain black. Doesn't make any functional difference but seems like a fashion faux pas to me. Boras probably look better than the 303s in your C50 pics. Saddle and bars wouldn't be my own choice but presumably they're the ones you like.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

I see what you're saying about the red accents being a fashion faux pas. I read that the chorus mech is stiffer than the record or super record as it has a steel cage. I have one on my tt bike and it does shift better than the super record on my C50. I guess I could shift the whole group over or do 2013 SR from the outset.
Bars & saddle are what I find comfy.

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Right, as this is WW, I'm going to post the weight of each component as they arrive.
First up, Elite Mio Sior bottle cages.

I'm expecting some discourse as to the choice of grp over carbon. My reasoning was that I'm gaining maybe 10g per cage over the Patao carbon ones I had a few years ago but these ought not to break like the carbon ones did & even if they do, they'll be £8 to replace, not £28.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

ronderman

by ronderman

With the understanding that you have a killer bike with great components and if we're REALLY going to be critical - those cages are not going to go with your bike. Your bike is mostly black and orange with a little white, but to mix white and black cages the cages are gonna stand out (works on a black with white bike) - so you should just go black, but again, why really care, cause it's gonna be a great ride.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

:roll:

From a WW Vet... Bro, those cages are totally fine... They are Elite SRL Soir which equal pro in my book. Those are designed to be a cage for the cobbles that hold the bottle super securely.

Rock on

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Thanks chaps, this is just the critique I'm after. Arguably, I could remove the mismatched colouring with a little acetone? It might even save another gram! I have noted that some pro teams just use elite grp cages & not carbon (europcar) so if its good enough for them...
Next question: Alloy or Ti bolts to mount them?

Thanks,

Paul.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Paul, Ti bolts all the way. Alloy bolts are useless for this application IMO. Weight savings is negligible and Ti is much stronger. Nicer looking as well..

btw, nice frame,
Also Paul

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com