Carbon Stealth Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lo5707

by lo5707

1415chris wrote:Going into the super stealth look, you could try to source black bolts for both derailleurs and the brakes.

That is still my intention. I have tried to source black bolts wherever i can and have done so with black Ti stem, top cap, crank and chainring bolts. Will continue the search for bolts for the drillers and brakes - a couple of places do the carbon bolts at a price so may choose those :lol:
Last edited by lo5707 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juggler

by Juggler

cerro wrote:Using a 11-25 Recon alu at the moment that is 101g (Shimano)...

Hi Jonas

How is this running? I am considering it with my Di2 setup...

I am aware that it won't be as good as my present DA7900. But how would you score it compared to that for example...?
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Juggler wrote:I use the Stronglight CT2 on my road bike... and since I use the small ring from time to time (and use Di2) it might not be the best idea

Won't be a problem :wink:

For everyday riding we do recommend the Lightweight 2 version, which is only slightly heavier but also stiffer and we have a number of customers who have run or are running these chainrings with Di2 with no problems at all. The Lightweight versions that the OP has are slightly lighter and hence slightly (and I mean slightly) more flexible but there are still lots of customers riding them. How many are using Di2, I have no idea.

bura

by bura

lo5707 wrote:The saddle is a full carbon Chinese saddle from the bay for about £63 (€70) - Weighs in at 104g so not ultralight but achieved its aim for my carbon stealth build.

If the distance from mid rails to the top of the saddle measured at the rear bends of the rails is 40mm then this actually is the SSM Aspide SL .
I had mentioned it in another post that identical saddle of which the "original" was around 350 bucks , is now on the bay for your price bought or on AB now for approx 50 bucks with free shipping.
The weight ,dimensions and shape are identical to SSM Aspide SL.

BTW, great job done. :thumbup:
I am also interested in the performance and the endurance of the black coating of the Ceradure casette.

I am positive that you can get a lighter stealth Chinese bike frame.Do not know your size though.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

1415chris

by 1415chris

lo5707 wrote:That is still my intention. I have tried to source black bolts wherever i can and have done so with black Ti stem, top cap, crank and chainring bolts. Will continue the search for bolts for the drillers and brakes - a couple of places do the carbon bolts at a price so may choose those :lol:

Full sizing of different types of alu bolts: http://www.pro-bolt.com/aluminium.html?cat=725&color=4"

lo5707

by lo5707

bura wrote:If the distance from mid rails to the top of the saddle measured at the rear bends of the rails is 40mm then this actually is the SSM Aspide SL.

The distance is more 37-38mm how i measured it. See profile picture below if this helps?
1415chris wrote:Full sizing of different types of alu bolts: http://www.pro-bolt.com/aluminium.html?cat=725&color=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

@1415chris - Great link thanks.
Last edited by lo5707 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bura

by bura

lo5707 wrote:
bura wrote:If the distance from mid rails to the top of the saddle measured at the rear bends of the rails is 40mm then this actually is the SSM Aspide SL.

The distance is more 37-38mm how i measured it. See profile picture below if this helps?

Thank you.
For me ,this is identical to the SSM Aspide SL. Other Chinese CF saddles have much sleeker rail design and do not stand that high.
So a very good purchase in the end.
Look and compare weight,size and shape here at "cheapbikeparts"!! . 435 bucks!!! :shock:
http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/produc ... ra-saddle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well,some like the SSM graphics on that saddle. :)
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

artray

by artray

This is a brilliant thread with loads of info and help
:thumbup: :thumbup:

lo5707

by lo5707

bura wrote:For me ,this is identical to the SSM Aspide SL. Other Chinese CF saddles have much sleeker rail design and do not stand that high. So a very good purchase in the end. Look and compare weight,size and shape here at "cheapbikeparts"!! . 435 bucks!!! :shock:

Yes this does look exceptionally similar, but $435 :shock: :o :shock:

$100 from the bay, job done! :beerchug: :thumbup:
artray wrote:This is a brilliant thread with loads of info and help
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers artray
Last edited by lo5707 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo5707

by lo5707

Campy SR (2011 11Sp) RD, Clear Coat removed from front plate using a blade and remaining surfaces sanded to matt. Swapped out stock jockeys and rear plate to fibre-lytes 11T. These jockeys were also fractionally wider than the Campy stock Jockeys (by about 0.25mm which made them ideal for use with my 10Sp set-up by widening the RD cage slightly to accommodate my KMC X10SL DLC Black chain.

Original weight 165g :shock: (claimed 155g :( )
2g saved from removing the clear coat from the front plate (it seemed to be an exceptionally thick layer!)
10g saved with Fibre-Lyte jockey wheels
7g saved with Fibre-Lyte rear plate
Final Weight 146g :D

Still need to sand the rear plate to matt carbon and swap out some bolts for lighter 'stealthy' black ones

First pic still with stick Campy Jockeys (looks much better now with fibre-lytes)

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Rear der will work flawlessly with the 10 speed shifters, but the front sr der...not so good with a 10sp chain. The chain width will cause you to constantly trim the front der.
Looks great just need a 10sp record front der.

lo5707

by lo5707

Gregorio wrote:Rear der will work flawlessly with the 10 speed shifters, but the front sr der...not so good with a 10sp chain. The chain width will cause you to constantly trim the front der. Looks great just need a 10sp record front der.

Is that definitely the case? The 2011 SR FD was re-widened after the rubbing issues with the 2010 SR FD. I have read several times elsewhere that the new SR FD is now better compatible with 10Sp chains. Also i have read that the distance in the widths of the KMC 10Sp and 11Sp chains is exceptionally minimal (I have got and measured both and the difference is minuscule at about 0.15-0.2mm). The reason i am sticking with the 10Sp chain is because it is black :) to match the build. I would rather change to an 11Sp chain rather than swap the RD to 10Sp - which should also solve the issue.......if i find there is an issue when built.

In any case trimming with the FD is not too big an issue and how often do you really shift between chainrings anyway? :wink:
Last edited by lo5707 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Oh..I wasn't aware that campagnolo widened ther cage. I did try to run the 2010 with a kmc 10sl chain.
Not a 2011.
Let us know how the setup works

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

wow, let there be light(ness)!

be careful of those cranks over time, pay attention to the tightening bolt eventually slipping.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

What frame are you using as these parts would look at home on a Canyon!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com