2 X 10 or 1 X 10. Can't decide?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I am very close to finishing my 29er build and I just can't decide on 2 X 10 or if I should scale it back and go 1 X 10. It is built up with 2 X 10 right now and it comes in at 17 lbs. but the more I think about it, the more I am thinking that 1 X 10 and losing the shifter, double chain ring, some chain, front derailleur and going with the single spiderless carbon chainring would get me a very nice finished weight.

Right now I am good with the with the double 44/30t gearing on the front and the 11/32 on the back but if I went single I would run 32t with a smaller cassette.

Thoughts.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Tried to ride with a single chainring? If you find the right size it's awesome, and got terrain for it. If not it sucks. I was riding 11-32 cassette this summer with a 42/27 or 36 ring at the front. Now I will use XX1 with 36t for next year.

BmanX

by BmanX

I have ridden both before but only in 26" and will have to tweek the sizes a bit but to be honest my happiest was when I was single speed 32t front and 16t back on an 13 lbs carbon rigid. I could push that sucker up anything and it was so incredibly nimble and light that the single gear was easy to use. That is why I am thinking more along the lines of going 1 X 10 and stripping it down a bit more than what a normal rig would be.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

devinci

by devinci

isnt that a weird gering for a 29er?

Like Cerro said, if you have the terrain, I'd go 1x10 with a 11-36 cassette and whatever chainring size fits your habilities.

Loosing a shifter, ring, front der, cable and housing would save some very nice weight!

BmanX

by BmanX

Gearing was from my 26er but to be honest I could have ran that gear with an 11/25 on the back and still been more than fine with the riding that I do.

I am leaning more towards the 1 X 10 set up and putting the 2 X 10 set up on my 26" again and building that up nice and light. I can always get Fibre-Lyte to build me a 36t front spiderless ring.

Just trying what I have for now and I can go a more standard 29er front ring set up if I wanted.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

limba

by limba

If you have the money you should get XX1, lose weight, never drop a chain and not lose any gearing.

drider85

by drider85

I tried 1x systems and they work well on the trail. My problem is that most of the races and much of my training include flat open sections were the larger gear and extra speed of the big ring help a lot. I went back to 2x despite the weight disadvantage.

BmanX

by BmanX

I might not actually be riding up the mountain as much as i used to so maybe a single 36 would be better.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

limba

by limba

Maybe get a cross bike.

tjk

by tjk

I´m running currently 1x10 setup on Shimano XT with Sam 1070 12-36 and Middleburn 32t chainring... really like the simplicity of this setup... somehow feel more free.. just enjoy riding and don´t care about nothing else :-) would love to try SS but have lots of steep hills around and this setup suits me fine! Like guys above, when it fits your riding style and place you ride its perfect otherwise I´d stay with 2x10 setup... cheers

Not exactly pure Weightweenie.... but still crazy enought to hunt every possible gram (used to be, but still like reasonably light bikes :-))

- LITESPEED Obed

- STORCK Scenario Team

- FORT Columbus Ultrafoco

limba

by limba

drider85 wrote:I tried 1x systems and they work well on the trail. My problem is that most of the races and much of my training include flat open sections were the larger gear and extra speed of the big ring help a lot. I went back to 2x despite the weight disadvantage.

If you get XX1 and choose the right chainring, you'll maybe give up one gear.

You can do the math here. http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

BmanX

by BmanX

I am thinking that I will go 1 X 10 for starters and see how it goes. My 26" will be made into a 2 X 10. I can always pick up a FD in needed. Weight it the first goes so less stuff on the bike is lighter.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

try to do one of your normal rides in either your big or small chainring for the whole time. If it doesn't tick you off too bad then go for it. That was my test I did my whole cyclocross course on my inner 39 tooth ring before I went to a 42. (13-29 cassette)