HP minipumps: lezyne , topeak or...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quattrings

by quattrings

Topeak racerocket hp
Lezyne HP drive

Which one is to best?
If I flat a tubular can either one reach 8 bars/115psi realistically without gorilla strength?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Not quite what you're asking but I tested a Topeak Race Rocket against a Lezyne HP Road Drive (M 160psi).
I found the Topeak was a bit faster to 85-90psi but then it struggled. The Lezyne got to 120psi without any problem.

I didn't find the Topeak that comfortable to use. It was easy to nip my non-pumping hand when using it.

For 115 you're better off with Road Drive.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Lezyne
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

project3

by project3

Lezyne

personally i own two unit. tried topeak - material feels low quality after i tried using my ride buddy topeak. feels fragile.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

+1 on the Lezyne. My Carbon Drive is the best mini pump I have ever owned, and is lighter than a CO2 canister and chuck.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

eric01

by eric01

Lezyne. Its a little pricier. But when you pick it up and use it, you feel like "oh, I get it".
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

sungod

by sungod

^^^ this, this, this, this and this

quattrings

by quattrings

Lezyne it is, and it is actually cheaper.
thanks to all and happy holidays.

Franklin

by Franklin

The best is the Quicker pro, it's a better pump than either Lezyne or Topeak bring to the table. And it fits in a shirt pocket!

1415chris

by 1415chris

In what respect, best?
Pump without the hose, it's not the best idea. And it's twice heavier than Lezyne.

quattrings

by quattrings

1415chris wrote:In what respect, best?
Pump without the hose, it's not the best idea. And it's twice heavier than Lezyne.

Agreed. Forgot to mention but it has to be a pump with a hose.
If you only ride with one spare tube (and a patch for security), you really don't want to blow (pun intended) that one shot.

Franklin

by Franklin

1415chris wrote:In what respect, best?

It's absolutely the best pressure wise. You can get decent pressure whith a lot less effort than Lezyne.Test

And it might be heavier, it's really compact.

1415chris

by 1415chris

But the same time your presta valve can be easily smashed. It happened twice to me, using this kind of pumps.
Since then, only hose pumps for me.

Franklin

by Franklin

1415chris wrote:But the same time your presta valve can be easily smashed. It happened twice to me, using this kind of pumps.
Since then, only hose pumps for me.

Obviously it's where your preference lies. Considering I have been standing on the side of the road in the cold rain with a Lezyne which couldn't get the necessary pressure I got rid of it fast. *

I rather take care with the valve and use a pump that actually works. lezyne really let me down in that respect .

And not just me!

On the Quickex you will find some slamming the gauge meter and the paint falling off... but it's absolutely praised for getting the job done at reasonable exertion.

Another problem with some Lezyne hoses: The rubber seal goes bad after just a few uses and the hose won't stay on the valve. The lack of a clamping mechanism is problematic, especially if you will only find out when you stand beside the road.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Not sure to which Lezyne models you are referring to, but I though all of them come with threaded hose ends which are screwed on the valve. It's hard to imagine more robust solution, isn't.
I'm in possession of 2 Lezyne pumps, CNC floor and Road Drive and I can only speak in superlatives about them.
On the other note, for some members of this forum (myself included) it would be very hard to justify twice more weight, in the situation when this twice lighter pump does the job properly even if slightly more effort is required.
But agree with you on the individual preferences.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com