new frame, off season

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

So, I'm preparing to buy a new frame this off season. Here are my specs: I am 1.85m tall and weigh 67 kg. I ride a 58 cm CAAD 7 roadbike that I am very comfortable on. My inseam is about 87cm. I am considering several frames for next year. These are the Frames I am considering. The Kona Major Jake, Van Tuyl VT 340, OCCP team issue or the Empella Bonfire. Does anyone have any reccomendations in this department? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boogie

by Boogie

I've a Van Tuyl 340. Last I had an other crossbike(decathlon cross now for training) and the van tuyl is much stiffer and lighter. The frame is 1480grams which is light for the price. Van Tuyl also have their own paintsection. Everything is possible.
With Empella I personally I don't have experience, but you see them a lot in the races and they also used by several pro's in the past(Wellens) and now(Dlask). You heard a lot of good points.
A friend of mine has a Kona. It' is not my favourite (I don't like kona at all..) but he likes it. The fork is only quite heavy i believe. I don't know if you're gonna race, but when you take a small size you can't put your arm between the frame for carrying on your shoulder.
About the OCCP I can't tell you anything

Bye

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Well, you should also check the geometry between the models you are looking at. The Empellas are usually a little longer than the OCCP's, which as I recall sit you more upright. I have an Empella and like the frame's forgiving quality and the beefy carbon fork tracks well. The integrated headset reqires cleaning more often than the standard headset frames. That is the Empella's one downside.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

well, stoli, I'm in AZ too, so dust is a bigger problem than mud is. Could you post pics of your empella?