Colnago C50

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

philhul

by philhul

Hi,

This should have been built by now but as anyone who has seen my post in the Road section will know I've hit a snag with an old brake nut being stuck solid in the rear bridge. My dad used to be a mechanic so is good at these sorts of things and we have an idea how me might get it out. In the mean time please see below an interim picture and build list. I'll add more pics and the weight once I get it built.

The frame has a few signs of use and wear so the plan is to ride it in 2013 then next Winter I'm going to have it stripped and redone to look good as new. Just need to decide what scheme I want for it in the mean time.

Colnago C50 51S
SRAM Force Groupset. I don't like Campagnolo but have removed all logos from the SRAM out of respect!
Planet X Brakes
Jagwire Racer Cables
Lightweight Standard II with Vittoria Evo Corsa CX and Planet X Carbon / Ti skewers
3T Dorico Ltd
3T ARX Ltd 110mm
3T Ergonova Ltd
Lizard Skins
Token X Wing Saddle (graphics removed)
Look Keo Classic
2 x Planet X Bottle Cages

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I find that stem too bulky for this build.

Timo

by Timo

Can't go wrong with the frame and hoops, but...
philhul wrote:SRAM Force Groupset. I don't like Campagnolo but have removed all logos from the SRAM out of respect

Care to elaborate on this? I've red that sentence a dozen times now and I do not understand what you mean :noidea:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

philhul

by philhul

A lot of purists like to see Campagnolo on Italian frames. I won't do that as I don't like Campagnolo but here I've removed the logos so that it isn't immediately obvious that it is SRAM.

michel2

by michel2

majklnajt wrote:I find that stem too bulky for this build.

You what ??

Looking good i say !!

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

majklnajt wrote:I find that stem too bulky for this build.

I agree on the stem. Cool to see you are going with something else than Campy on a Nago :wink: .

c50jim

by c50jim

If you don't like Campagnolo, don't use it. I've owned 13 Colnagos, all with Campy, but Shimano and SRAM on Colnagos don't bother me one little bit. Remember that Mapei and Rabobank, the most successful teams that used Colnagos from the early 90s to the time Colnago left what's now the Pro Tour, both used Shimano.

Hey, it's just a really nice bike that its owner should love to ride. That's the real purpose of any good bike.

Elrey

by Elrey

I would go Force og Red in respect for the frame. Stem fitting just fine, but that bar... Other than that. Nice looking bike. Goldchain, black chainrings and maybe some tanwalls.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Crankset with black Red chainrings!
+1 on tan sidewall tubs!

philhul

by philhul

I had been tempted by some Fibrelyte chainrings...

Those tubs are relatively new so may consider some tan sidewalls but only when they need replacing.

The bars are just what I had but I do like the flattened tops for climbing so I'll be keeping them. They will only be taped up to the hoods so will stand out a bit but at least they match the stem and seatpost.

I've had a gold chain on previous black builds but for some reason decided that I thought silver would look better on this?

Still battling on trying to get this bolt out at the minute!!!

grid256

by grid256

Black Praxis chainrings will look good on there. Very minimal branding and shift like butter.

philhul

by philhul

Well, after a few months of agony I got my first ride on it today. Only a 15 mile shake down test but since I haven't ridden since October it was enough! Sun, rain, hail, snow and a lot of wind meant I was happy to get home! The rear brake problem never got fixed, in fact it got a lot worse, so you will probably notice additional work to get it to fit and work. At least I can ride it now...

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Yeah, I hate it when I get my nuts stuck in the rear brake bridge...

Nice ride!

philhul

by philhul

Well I can finally get it into summer configuration.

As mentioned earlier I'm thinking of having the frame refinished at the end of the year. Can't decide whether to just go for something similar, or, as PR99 is my favourite Colnago colour scheme, have it sprayed white and try to recreate that. Any thoughts? I'm also thinking of giving Campagnolo a go and move the SRAM over to a bad weather bike.

eurperg

by eurperg

I don't think PR99 looks good on a sloping frame... PR00 is one of the best colors ever. Is the frame really in such bad shape that it needs to be refinished?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com