Can't loosen the crankbolts Sram Red 2012 BB30

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

Got my new bike, it's a Cannondale Supersix Evo with Sram Red compact crank. I want to replace the crank with a FSA 130mm bcd. One problem i can't remove the 10mm hex bolts. There is no movement when I push with all my weight on the hex key. I do start at the non drive side. What am I doing wrong?
The bike isn't the problem

Doolop

by Doolop

Get a breaker bar and make it happen. you can strap the other arm to the chain stay if you need more support.

Some kid in China is loosing their job!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I removed a set of these Sram cranks today to install a FSA K-force SRM. These loosened via the Drive side 10mm Hex key. Opposite to the arrow in the photo.

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

I had this problem the other day while stripping down my old bike. The solution was someone stronger than me!

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Make sure you you do it on the right side, some cranks and model years are on drive side, others on non-drive.
Remember, lefty loosy, righty tighty. So in this case opposite direction of the arrow on the crank bolt.

Position the crank and hex key close together: hex key at 7 o clock, crank arm at 5 o clock and push them together with all your strength. This gives you the best torque.

When reassembling remember to torque that bolt down hard again. Sram crank bolts have a tendency to work themselves loose if not bolted down to the right torque. 48-54 Nm is a lot!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Yup, you're on the wrong side for your crank. The one you're trying to turn probably says, "do not remove".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stoeperd

by Stoeperd

Tanx for the tips. This was what make it happen to come loose.

Position the crank and hex key close together: hex key at 7 o clock, crank arm at 5 o clock and push them together with all your strength. This gives you the best torque.

Many tanx Roselend.
The bike isn't the problem