Ciamillo Crank V2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikedoc

by bikedoc

shipping in 5 to 6 weeks, now where have i heard that before.

artray

by artray

This really does make Ciamillo look like a bunch of cowboys . We know that there brakes are really cool and have a lot of fans but this is a big PR cock up . Like I said before .If you are paying out a large wad of dosh then you want a finished item. If they want guinea pigs to test there product, which is what this is, then they should be asking a few of us to try these cranks and see how they work out and not charge us a thing.
No one should be paying for an untested and unproven item . This is not the way to do things and I feel that maybe Ciamillo are taking advantage of us ww . Ciamillo ,throw a few cranks our way to test and if they are as good as they claim to be then you will have the best reviews from the people who you target and then they will sell .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rippin

by Rippin

Looks like the crank arms are dead flat from front to back. There's going to be some nasty heel rub on these...
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

farm_lim wrote:without the carbon arm covers, if there is, looks familiar with another.

And if the rumours I've heard are true, the Rotor 3D came about through misappropriation of the EE crank design!

Worth noting the comment that says "lightest crank without compromise" - which I read as meaning that some lighter cranks do have a compromise in their design (weight limits on Claviculas and AX for example).

For me, I still can't decide whether I f?&king LOVE them or utterly despise them, but I do like the Standard-Compact interchangability.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I've always been intrigued by the weight limits on parts such as the Claviculas. After all, your body weight can have little relevance to the power put through a crank arm if you're sat down and standing up, it doesn't change matters much. I have a feeling they're a fairly generic guide to suggest that they are a lightweight component and as such, some thought should be taken as to whether or not they are suitable for the application. Looking at the Ciamillo cranks fairly minimal design, I'd be curious to see if they have a weight limit or not and if they don't, what makes them more durable than the Clavicula cranks (of which I'm a big fan incidentally, of their construction at least).

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

bikedoc wrote:shipping in 5 to 6 weeks, now where have i heard that before.
artray wrote:If they want guinea pigs to test there product, which is what this is, then they should be asking a few of us to try these cranks and see how they work out and not charge us a thing.
Now where have I heard that before?

Oh yeah, Zero G Boxer Squad .
And here's how it ends, End of the ZeroG Boxer Crank Saga

CharlesM

by CharlesM

[This is not about the post above...]

I still find it funny that folks feel like they got ripped off because they didnt get free crank sets to test despite most having no product testing experience at all...

The last cranks were simply not going to live up to Zero G's performance versus cost ratio so rather than sell em, they chose not to bring em to market.

I think it's just plain stupid that some folks think a manufacturer should spend thousands of dollars making free test sets in that case, but it's the internet... Reasonable reactions have no place here :lol:

Getter

by Getter

^Truth

lechat

by lechat

I must be missing something? Wasn't it just a few months ago that posters were buying brakes from these people and not receiving them, forcing them to file CC claims? And sending their brakes in for spring replacements and not having them returned until publicly shaming Ciamillo here on the forum?
At best this company is irresponsible. And a good argument could be made for them being common grifters.

bura

by bura

CharlesM wrote:The last cranks were simply not going to live up to Zero G's performance versus cost ratio so rather than sell em, they chose not to bring em to market.

This is ok. What keeps the people asking is the fact that Ciamillo collected money from potential buyers for a crank as described above.

Beside that ,question is how would a lot of people rate a company like Far Sports ,if bought items would just not show up and faulty items sent back would kept in China without a response?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

artray

by artray

CharlesM wrote:[This is not about the post above...]

I still find it funny that folks feel like they got ripped off because they didnt get free crank sets to test despite most having no product testing experience at all...

The last cranks were simply not going to live up to Zero G's performance versus cost ratio so rather than sell em, they chose not to bring em to market.

I think it's just plain stupid that some folks think a manufacturer should spend thousands of dollars making free test sets in that case, but it's the internet... Reasonable reactions have no place here :lol:

No one is saying they want free cranks . The point is that you have paid a deposit on a crank set that has had a radical design change . Has not been tested over a good length of time . Why would you advertsie a crank ask for a deposit when it's not even finished the design stages . Once again there is a delay in the product. It seems it's not going to be the super light crank has firsts post indicated and the first people to own this crank and give it a good test will be paying customers . You should not be paying a lot of dosh on a untested product . If Ciamillo want there product tested to see how it stands up then don't take advantage of paying ww customers . Before going to market the product should be finished . If they want WW to try and test the product then he should not be charging as he is using them for the advantage of the crank design.
I Think when you see some of the bikes and parts used by ww to suggest we want to free load is a bit cheap . Ww spend a lot of money on there bikes and parts and I don't think it's fair to take advantage of them/us .....

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I think WWism is a journey from cyclist through to equipment-fetishist, and often back again to cyclist.

ZG are a well-travelled step along the journey and are their brakes have often been part of new WWs upgrades. They are also part of the learning curve that inventive, near-cutting edge companies and their products are frequently, though lighter, not as reliable or trouble-free, as those from the mainstream manufacturers, and that their after-service and PR processes are less refined. Should we really expect Campag-like manufacturing or pre-market testing and release from the smaller niche manufacturers? Consider the EPS testing and release.

Learning this is just part of the deal. The journey back to cyclist is one that involves realising that I would rather be out on a 500g heavier bike, than battling through product glitches, part-swaps, recalls and a continual battle to find the next best thing.

Some companies do make the transition with certain products, but by no means all.

Epic-o

by Epic-o

JensW wrote:"increase the wall thickness and/or diameter of the tubes and we can make this the stiffest crank on the market without adding any weight."

how is that possible? more material = more weight?

It's impossible.

The design is suboptimal by definition. How can you think that putting material in the longitudinal axis of the crankarm can give better results than putting the material as far as possible of it?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So according to the Bikerumour article, some are already shipped. Won't be long until we see them on here then all mounted up and tested. Did Madcow get a set in advance before anyone?

lechat

by lechat

These days you don't have to compromise to build a light bike. Unless your building more of a conversation piece than a bicycle the no-compromise options are better than ever. The Feather brake clones are what? 200gms? @ $1-$150. And get great user reviews. A $350 BB30 Exogram crank with a ring swap is as light as a $700+ SISL. And light inexpensive wheel build options are better than ever.
The niches aren't as exclusive as they once were. That's why shady business practices are so mind boggling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com