The TriRig Mercury Pedal - just 71 grams per pair.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

I will definatly try the The TriRig Mercury Pedal .
mdeth1313 wrote:I still want the m2racer orbII pedals back!

:exactly: Me too, I love mine

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I love my current pedals but will watch these for sure and if the price is right will think about a trial.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

that is my thought as well. if the price is right why not try them.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

lechat

by lechat

wally318 wrote:
Guess they probably would give up cycling and go fishing?

Oh boy! Fishing.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

These look interesting.

I'm a long term user of Aerolite Ti pedals. With the help of a good cycling podiatrist I'm fine with no float. Actually I like it much better than float, love the fixed in, stable feeling. Going back to my Keos on my other bike feels like riding on ice. And there's very little play, rock or give in the Aerolites. Just feel a whole lot more connected than Keos etc.

I was worried about the narrow contact area, but once clipped in to some decent carbon soled shoes (I use S Works), I don't notice that at all.

The turcite bearings work fine. Spin freely and last well. Are replaceable when they eventually need it.

The low stack height rocks for pedalling around corners. Until I go back to the Keos on my other bike....

They are relatively cheap and the service from Bill is great.

And they are so light 8)

The only problem for me is the lack adjustment in the cleats. For me that means I need to drill my shoes and that is very difficult to get dead right. One helpful tip is that the rear edge of the Aerolite cleat lines up with the two straight edges on either side of the rear of the Keo cleat placement, but still not easy to drill it dead right.

So the point of this long OT post is that I wonder if the TriRig cleats are Aerolite compatible....

Cheers

GJ

wally318

by wally318

gearjunkie. The answer to your question in short, NO.
From lokking at the pics and taking into account their claimed stack height,
I'm going to say that the pedal bearing is smaller dia. on the Mercury than
the 3/4" of the aerolite. The dia. of the end spacers look like they could be .750"
though.
AEROLITUS-defender of the faith

TriRig

by TriRig

wally318 is correct - Mercury is NOT cross-compatible with Aerolite in any fashion. Not only is the spindle diameter different, but it's also longer, to improve the platform stability. So, even if you replaced the Mercury bearing with a larger diameter bearing to fit Aerolite, it still wouldn't work with Aerolite cleats. Moreover, where Aerolite has a lateral retention feature in the cleats, Mercury puts that feature on the pedals themselves. This helps prevent accidental lateral slip as others have complained of on Aerolite, because Mercury's lateral retention feature is much larger, and it can't be bypassed with hard pedaling or rocking, as was possible with Aerolite. Thanks for your interest!

KWalker

by KWalker

You are incorrect about the pro peloton- every pedal option has float and if you can in the rare case look at a rider's cleat choice in fit articles, most use cleats with a decent amount of float. Quite a few riders have run Speedplays instead of team pedals to get more float and adjustability and I don't know of many pros that use the 0 float Look or Shimano cleats.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

roadwarrior

by roadwarrior

As a long time Aerolite user, the limiting factor is the lack of cleat adjustablity. If you mounted them to the 2 back holes in the "3 hole mount" it was not at all adjustable for fore/aft or angle. If you drilled them direct it was very hard to get them exactly in the right spot. The pedals themselves are awesome. The deal breaker with these Mercury pedals will be how much cleat adjustability they will have. With no float cleat placement is critical.

KWalker

by KWalker

Couldn't there be a 2 hole version with countersunk screws that would marginally increase stack height, but perhaps allow for better fore/aft adjustment?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

RyanH

by RyanH

Since these are now getting into people's hands, any first impressions?

Is it less likely to unintentionally unclip from these than the Cirrus?

Anyone know what the price of the first batch was?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

This was posted about the Mecury by TriRig in the Ultralite pdal thread:

Yes, there is positional adjustment on the Mercury cleats. This has been stated in several places, including the articles I've published on Mercury. There is both fore/aft, lateral, and rotational adjustment available, although they're all a bit more limited than on traditional cleats like Shimano and LOOK. For example, a Shimano cleat has about 7mm fore/aft adjustment. The Mercury cleat has about 4mm.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

There is adjustment, but it's not much. Fortunately, shimano r320 shoes have alot of fore/aft adjustment. The claimed weight is now 65g and mine came in at 63g for the pair. I only have one very short ride on them, I didn't feel much in the way of friction, we'll see what happens when I do some real climbs this Friday or over the weekend.

I'm using all 9mm of spacers as I have lightning cranks where the pedal threads are recessed (into the crankarm). Once I have real miles on them I'll give some feedback. FWIW, spending about $235 (shipped) dropped my pedal weight 113g and the cleat weight 23g (from my exustar 200 ti setup) We'll see if they work out. I find them easier to walk in than the other setup.

Speedplay is the devil!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

KWalker,

There are a fair number of protour riders that use fixed cleats. That said, I don't think we can use them as a representative sample of the cycling population that will be the market for these pedals. Pro cyclists are the creme de la creme of specimens, both in terms of aerobic talent and biomechanical aptitude for pedaling a bike. Their biomechanics must be well above average to allow them to tolerate the years of mega miles and training that get them to the pinnacle of the sport. Just because they may be able to ride without float in the pedal setup, doesn't mean that average recreational riders can, even if given the appropriate time and help to adapt to it.

djconnel

by djconnel

I like the lateral adjustment: this is what concerns me about Ultralight Sports.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com