Rock Shox Sid XX 29" vs. Sid RCT3 29"

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

msl1985

by msl1985

Hi.

I'm looking for a suspension fork to my brand new Storck Rebel Nine. I have only been riding on my road bike. MTB is new to me.

I have been looking at the Sid XX and the Sid RCT3.

The price is about the same.

But what is the difference between these to forks?
Wich one of them is the most reliable?
What is your experience with these forks?

Fox forks is not an option. These forks are to expensive.

Thanks.

/Morten

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

srides

by srides

I recently went through the same debate and chose the RCT3. So far ~20hrs on it and really happy.

The simple difference is a 3-position damper (open, locked, and a tuneable threshold platform) Vs. open/closed lockout.
There is no remote on the RCT3 and that will save you 30-50gr

Mine weighed 1660gr (tapered, 15mm, uncut, incudes 71g axle)

It is almost a case of whether you prefer a bar-mounted lockout. I wanted a clean bar and rarely lock the fork out.
So far no reliability issues but I would expect them to similar.

Gchan

by Gchan

I believe the RCT3 also adds low-speed compression damping. The trade-off if you go with the remote lock-out.

msl1985

by msl1985

thanks for the response.

I think i will go for the RCT3 fork.

Srides: How is the stiffness of the fork?

Dukeneverwinter

by Dukeneverwinter

I can't tell a difference between my former fox f29 15qr vs my new sid rct3 15qr. stiffness wise. damping ,shrugg, dunno.....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

The new motion control dna compression damper is very nice. I think thats in the rct3. The decision should be based strictly on the lockout. I always replaced the comp. damper on rockshox I got with the old cable actuated lockouts, but the hydraulic lockout works so damn good I probably use it 100 times on my local 15 mile park.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

srides

by srides

Regarding stiffness, I am happy with the fork.
It is my first 29" fork, but comparing against my previous (2010 SID WC w/ a 9mm thru-bolt) it feels to be as stiff or better. My assumption was that this is due to the 15mm axle.
(Rider weight ~167 lbs)

blantonator

by blantonator

my SID 29 XX tapered weighed 1600 grams with 15mm skewer and remote lockout, uncut.

devinci

by devinci

hi guys

looking for either rockshox rct3 29er or sid xx.

Can you guys tell if those fork have adjustable travel? Looks like we can set them up to 80mm or 100m, am I right?

Rider10

by Rider10

Internal "all-travel spacers" are used on all the 32mm stanchion SID models (2009 or newer, 26", 29", 100 or 120mm chassis). Spacers are available in 10mm heights, you can put in/remove as many as you like. You can also make your own in different heights if 10mm increments is too much.

Have a look here at a guide on how to add/remove the spacers.

digit3

by digit3

I have the SID XX 29 on two of my bikes since Jan 2012. I really love how plush they are and the remote lock out is something that I use a lot. I can't comment on the RCT3.
These are my first forks w/o QR and I do think that it stiffens up the front end. The real change for me was going from carbon rigid to a susp. fork. Adding two pounds up front took some getting used to!

devinci

by devinci

Thanks guys

I jusr read somewhere some people having compatibility issues with rockshox tapered fork and short (100mm) headtube. The taper on rockshox is 85mm according to their tech document.

The guys having trouble had older forks? Will I be safe with a rockshox and a 100mm headtube?

msl1985

by msl1985

I bought a tapered Rock Shox fork for my Storck Rebel Nine with 95mm headtube, and i don't have any issues with it.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

RockShocks is changing the taper on their forks from being about 75 ml to 50 ml. They started with the SIDs and are working their way down the model line. The long taper was only an issue on very short head tubes.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Has anyone got some information on how the SID RL performs compared to the RCT3 and XX?