New 23mm wide aero rim available! $54

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

What rim are you referring to?
Archetype, as I remember well, max 125kgf.
But the hubs can be limiting factor for the build.
I married these rims with Tune Mig70 Mag170. Tune's max spoke tension recommendation is 1000N (101kgf).

ricerocket

by ricerocket

The BHS rims, sorry.

I have a BHS SLF78W front and Zipp 188 rear for hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I've got one of those rims myself. Great bargain. Built up easily and is quite sturdy. Weight's good as well.

Beaumont

by Beaumont

Hi guys,

I will definitely try the Archetype rims, they are just sweet! But actualy the use of them would not be my "first" bike, but my classy old school steel "winter" bike. The reason is that I have a lot of snake bites when commuting in the old city on the actual thin wheels. So I´d like to go for large archetypes with UST conversion kit a ride them tubeless. So my idea is to make a fine "budget" wheelset, but which rides well, because I do a lot of kms on this training bike and I want to have fun!
My choise for the "first" bike would have been Tune Mig-Mags + 24x Cx Rays, laced rear like Corimas, 8 radial non-drive (maybe some more stiff than Cx Rays), 16 double cross drive side, radial on the front.
But actually I am hesitating what lacing choose for the training-commuting bike. I don´t need a weight weenie setup, nor super aero, just fine compromise between the price and quality, stifness + bomb proofness and wieght/aero. Would you have some recommendations for me?
Thanks a lot!
Tank - Genesis Croix de fer commuter/winter bike
ArTiGiana - Sturdy Titanium aero (incoming)
Bamboo fixie (have to build it :)

LVGH

by LVGH

The Archetypes are drilled with offset so I wonder whether a 16:8 rear spoke configuration will cause problems.. I would say it's far from optimal to have the spokes leaving the rim in the wrong direction.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Not sure where to bump with this.
I'm interested in the actual tire width on the Archetype or any other 23mm wide rim. Tire: Conti GP4000s in 23mm and 25mm.
For instance Vittoria corsa evo 23mm on Archetype, actual 25mm.
I'm going to buy conti, but I'm not sure whether 25mm will leave enough tire clearance at the chainstays.

djay001

by djay001

someones know what is the max tension of the BHS C472w rim (kinlin xc-279)?

i usually build kinlin xr-270 at 110 front and 120 rear DS, can it be a great tension range for the C472w too?

gourami7

by gourami7

hi 1415chris

I fitted 25mm Conti Gatorskins a while back on Canyon Ultimate on Shimano RS10 wheels without issue.

HTH

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

djay001 wrote:someones know what is the max tension of the BHS C472w rim (kinlin xc-279)

Frankly... "max tension" is just whatever you can get away with. 120 kg sounds like a good number, though. All Al rims will eventually crack with enough use, so it's best to not go overboard.
formerly rruff...

JWTS

by JWTS

So, I just built up my third set of the XC-279's. Overall I have to say I'm really impressed. I was looking for a replacement for my previous favorite rim, which was the rim from Shimano's R-500 wheel set. I've re-laced a ton of those into Powertap wheels, and re-done quite a few fronts as well (although with better balls, real grease and re-tensioning the complete front wheels aren't bad). Cheap R-500 sets are drying up though, and it's nice to have some more options besides 20/24.

I liked the Shimano rim because for it's depth it always tested well in various wind tunnel tests, and it's proven to be a very durable rim. It's not particularly WW though, at 460 grams for a 24mm deep rim. Besides the roundish shape, it's also wide for a "standard" rim, 20.8mm. The XC-279 has a very similar profile, not quite as round but close, and it's a little deeper at similar weight. Overall impressions:

-very easy build. I typically bring them to about 70-80% tension w/out even looking at trueness or roundness, and they were amazingly round and true already. Finished tension uniformity was within 5% or so. That's as good as the Shimano rims (which are very straight rims, made by Araya).

-spoke holes were rough. I always chamfer the spoke holes directionally anyway, but if you don't and you're using alloy nipples, you may be in for some problems.

-published ERD seems off. I bought these in a bulk deal from some guy in Taiwan. He listed it as 582.4. I got 582.2. Everyone else publishes 584. This may not seem like a big deal, but with radial lacing and 12mm nipples, you probably want to get this right. I measured 3 rims and they were all around 582.2, +/- .2.

-the two I weighed were right at 480 grams. I don't really care enough about 10 grams to weigh each one. Sorry, WW, I just don't think it matters all that much.

Here's a pic of a Cont Attack mounted. An Attack (22mm) was 23.7mm on this rim, and rim itself measured 23.

I built a set of these for myself as well, 20/24 on Dura Ace 7800/7850 hubs, CX-Rays, DT Alloy front/radial, Sapim brass rear/2x both sides, rider weight 135-140lbs. So far I love the wheels. They should be a great good weather training/bad weather racing/crit wheel. Regarding the "better handling and increased comfort" of wider wheels, though? I really think this is due more to folks decreasing tire pressure and the placebo effect more than anything else. I always ran 80-85 psi on the Kinlin 270's, and I have to say I notice no difference with these rims. Still, I like the rims and would definitely recommend them.

djconnel

by djconnel

SWijland wrote:@arbitrage: to be honest, there are no real advantages to using snowflake or twisted lacing. In theory the twisting of the spoke at the crossing should stiffen up the wheel, just like tying and soldering, but just like tying and soldering, in real life this is hardly noticeable. Why do it then? Because it looks sweeeet IMHO 8)

At the same mass, it should be less stiff.

Boardman

by Boardman

What is the finish of these Kinlin rims? Anything like Hed Belgium anodised finish? I need to replace a HED Belgium rim as I've dented one and could do without paying £110 for one rim.

woody55

by woody55

I have both, A HED Belgium front rim and a Kinlin XC-279 as a rear rim. They do not match! The HED is more of a bead blasted matte black and the Kinlin is a smooth gloss black. It doesn't bother me that much but I do plan to change the rim out sometime in the future.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

The Archetype has the similar finish and dimensions to the Hed C2.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boardman

by Boardman

Cool. Thanks. I'm not sure the differ t finish will bother me that much.