2012 Kona Jake the Snake...anyone?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stephenjeffrey

by Stephenjeffrey

Anyone have a 2012 JTS built up as a WW? Anyone know what the frameset weighs? Looking to buy a new CX frame and can find some good deals on some 2012 close outs.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Drockspoke

by Drockspoke

It's not a 2012 or WW per se but heres my 2011...
2011 with SRAM Rival, Chris King hubs on Stan's NoTubes 340 rims

I don't have a proper scale but my best estimate from a bathroom scale puts it around 16-17lbs

Stephenjeffrey

by Stephenjeffrey

Drockspoke wrote:2011 with SRAM Rival, Chris King hubs on Stan's NoTubes 340 rims

I don't have a proper scale but my best estimate from a bathroom scale puts it around 16-17lbs

Thanks! And nice ride. Looking to build up with similar components (sram rival or force)...saw it listed as 20+ as a complete bike, just didn't want to end up with a beast. I'd be good with 16-17.

alexalecu

by alexalecu

@Drockspoke: does the frame have external rear brake cable routing?

I have a 2012 Kona Jake the Snake frameset built as a lightweight CX/tourer bike, with Sram red shifters and crankset (set up as 1x10), force rear derailleur, Shorty brakes and custom wheels with SuperComp spokes with Alpha 340 on the front and A23 on the rear. I cannot say how much the bike weighs, but probably around 8 kg based on the bathroom scale.
I got the frame as a replacement for a 2008 Major Jake which developed a large crack in the chainstay - Kona had no Major Jake frame in stock at that time and I had to settle with the 2012 Jake the Snake.

Since the bike is an all-arounder, I love that it has integrated rear rack eyelets and I don't have to mess around with all sort of adapters to mount the rack. As far as I can tell is one of the lightest frames which supports a rear rack.

What I hate about the frame is that it has internal rear brake routing - and there is a lot of drag. I haven't had the time yet to look closer into it - whether it's the cable, the end caps, the housing or there's something wrong with the liner inside the top tube.

Here are the actual weights:
frame: 1711g (with FSA no 42 headset cups and bottle cage and rear rack bolts)
fork: 520g (with FSA crown race)

limba

by limba

Bikeman has some Konas on sale. Post your link if they're cheaper.

http://www.bikeman.com/Kona_Cyclocross_Frame_Sets.html

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I have a green Major Jake frame from 2009. Size 56 cm. The frame weighed approx. 1500 grams without fork, but with seatpost clamp and dogfang. I think current Jake the Snake has a weight similar to the aluminium (or Scandium) Major Jake, like mine.

I have it built up with Alpha Q forks, full SRAM Rival group, Thomson seatpost, Specialized saddle, Ritchey aluminium WCS stem, cheap aluminium handlebars, XTR pedals. It weighs around 8.5 kgs (around 18.7 lbs) with a Mavic Reflex/old Dura Ace/Revolution wheelset with Challenge Limuses. Not ultralight, but fine for the racing I've done so far. If I were to drop some weight I'd have to dig deep for light handlebars, maybe exchange some of the Rival group, and get lighter wheels.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Stephenjeffrey wrote:Looking to build up with similar components (sram rival or force)...saw it listed as 20+ as a complete bike, just didn't want to end up with a beast. I'd be good with 16-17.

I don't think you'll get even close to 17 lbs with that level of components with that frame.

Drockspoke

by Drockspoke

@Drockspoke: does the frame have external rear brake cable routing?

Yes it does. There is a bit of drag from the cable housing being bent quite radically around the seat tube but I fixed that by replacing the cantilever brakes with the TRP CX 8.4 linear pull brakes. That also took care of the brake shudder.

alexalecu

by alexalecu

the_marsbar wrote:I have a green Major Jake frame from 2009. Size 56 cm. The frame weighed approx. 1500 grams without fork, but with seatpost clamp and dogfang. I think current Jake the Snake has a weight similar to the aluminium (or Scandium) Major Jake, like mine.

My 2008 Major Jake weighed 1425g - size 54. Yours must be from 2008 too, for the 2008 model was green and the 2009 one white or gray.
The Jake the Snake is much heavier than that, by more than 200g.

alexalecu

by alexalecu

Drockspoke wrote:Yes it does. There is a bit of drag from the cable housing being bent quite radically around the seat tube but I fixed that by replacing the cantilever brakes with the TRP CX 8.4 linear pull brakes. That also took care of the brake shudder.

The bent around and behind the seat tube on my bike is pretty tight - on second though, this could be the reason for the drag.
Attachments
IMG_2691.JPG

Drockspoke

by Drockspoke

I don't think you'll get even close to 17 lbs with that level of components with that frame.

It's rather embarrassing to be posting on weight weenies without knowing the actual weight :oops: so I managed to get a more accurate weight for mine. 17.4 lbs or 7.9kg with bottle cage, computer mount and 15 mm of extra headset spacers. I was shocked to see it actually weighed less than my road bike.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Ah yes, it must be 2008 then. I thought the 2008 was sold with the Alpha Q forks, apparently not (but the 2009 was, according to Kona's website).

That's better than I thought if the frame really is heavier than my Major Jake. I did not notice at first that you were only running a single chainring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com