Cervelo S5 Team Ultegra Di2 (R.I.P.)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

Geoff wrote:That looks good. Did you try the 48?

I also think you need a size smaller...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SSB

by SSB

The setup in the initial picture wasn't right - I ended up having to raise my seatpost by 2 cm or so, and the stem was changed to a 110mm -17 rise instead of the 90mm that was on there originally.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

cccyco

by cccyco

Hi,nice to see you are safe from the accident,and I want to know that does Cervelo give you warranty in such condition? I dont mean to be offensive, but I think its rider 's personal responsibility to the damage of the frame... do you buy some insurance project in you LBS? cheers

natiedean24

by natiedean24

It would probably be the Auto insurance of the offending motorist.

SSB

by SSB

cccyco wrote:Hi,nice to see you are safe from the accident,and I want to know that does Cervelo give you warranty in such condition? I dont mean to be offensive, but I think its rider 's personal responsibility to the damage of the frame... do you buy some insurance project in you LBS? cheers

Driver's insurance is supposed to pay for it. If it was my fault, there is a crash replacement discount of 25% on the frame.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Great to hear that you are ok.

And great to hear that you might be moving up in the Cervelo world! :wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

SSB

by SSB

After much soul-searching, I've decided to downgrade (if you can call it that) to an S2. I can't justify spending so much money on a bike when work commitments mean that I'm pretty much relegated to the trainer for the next few riding seasons, and maybe the occasional weekend ride. :( Plus the few thousand I'm saving by dropping down could go towards my tuition bill, and the cherry on top is my planned S2 build is around 6200g (i.e. I would lose more than a kilo.)

The S5 is probably the most aero bike I've ever ridden, and I won't deny that it is better than the S2. Di2 was also awesome. But the S2 is still plenty of bike for someone who looks like he'll be relegated to Elite 3/4 races for the foreseeable future (i.e. Cat 4/5 for you Yankees). I'll suck up the seconds I'll lose and use that as motivation to train harder on those late nights at home. :thumbup:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

Martin.F

by Martin.F

So did you sell the frame or is it up for trade? Would you consider selling the frame only? It was a sweeeet bike. I would love to change my s2 frame for an s5.

caseycycling

by caseycycling

Martin.F wrote:So did you sell the frame or is it up for trade? Would you consider selling the frame only? It was a sweeeet bike. I would love to change my s2 frame for an s5.

Check back a page, @SSB was hit by a car and the bike was destroyed..thats why he is downgrading.

SSB

by SSB

It's also worth noting the S2, with a shorter headtube allows me to get lower if I need to as I'm pretty flexible (at least before the accident, I could flat palm the floor.)

This is what my S5 looked like after a refit (at the time, the bike was being used on rollers/trainer):

I need a new fit to accommodate my stiff neck/back muscles, so maybe there'll be a few spacers on the new build for a little while.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

phatphuk

by phatphuk

sorry to hear about your accident and the write-off of such a beautiful bike, SSB. you must have been devastated - by both the accident and the loss of the bike. again, you have my sympathy.

you had to provide pictures to the insurance companies. right? would it be too morbid to request that you post some pictures of what the "t-boned" S5 looked like, post-mortem? please? was it cracked into 2 or more pieces?

also - you having been lucky enough to live to tell the tale - is there any advice you could offer, with hindsight, to us newbie cyclists to help us - and our bikes - steer clear of a similarly devastating ordeal? do you know what i mean? like, a "lessons learned" kind of thing?

of course, i agree that the driver was clearly at fault. and i, myself, have encountered more than my fair share of homicidal, sociopathic | psychopathic, cyclist-hating motorists. so i definitely empathize with you.

but, for example, what would you have done differently approaching the intersection? would you have put more lights on your bike? or, wore more high-viz clothes? or ridden slower? do you know what i mean? your experience - and the fortunate fact that you survived unscathed - could save others' lives.

thanks in advance for your reply, SSB.

be safe.

DamoRider

by DamoRider

This looks like a kids bike...I found it hard to believe your height when I saw it...

I hate the look of this frame; it looks like it belongs on Kona instead of any road with other riders.